[Motion Lighting] Unable to physically manipulate a switch post .706

I am unable to turn off switches that have been activated via Motion Lighting. I did not notice this prior to update .706.

When I attempt to turn off a Motion Lighting switch, there is a brief flash where there seems to be an override that returns the device to the Motion Lighting state.

Most likely you don’t have an override off setting specified, so the switch IS turning off the light, and the motion sensor is turning the light back on again. You can confirm through your real-time logs.

The behavior is not consistent. The lights will sometimes turn off by turning the switch off. I just tested this again.

At other times, it seems that turning the switch off results in a setLevel. This could, of course, be a result of holding the switch a fraction of a second too long.

This then results in canceling automation and the inability to turn the light off via physical interaction.

level 46 Kitchen Lights Switch was set to 46% [physical] DEVICE physical 03/27/2018 3:03 PM
level 48 Kitchen Lights Switch was set to 48% [physical] DEVICE physical 03/27/2018 12:46 PM
level 50 Kitchen Lights Switch was set to 50% [digital] DEVICE digital 03/27/2018 12:46 PM
switch on Kitchen Lights Switch was turned on [digital] DEVICE digital 03/27/2018 12:46 PM

Also, unfortunately, it appears that physical events are properly captured in the real-time logging.

Are you using a ge zwave dimmer…I noticed that the dim level is increasing by 2% with every on event. I had similar issues with my Zwave Plus Dimmer and the ST driver port I was using. I ended up recreating the driver from scratch and it works fine niw.

Yes. GE 12724, using the Generic Z-Wave Dimmer driver, so it’s not a User ST port.

I believe there is also a known issue with these switches that is sometimes resolved by pulling the power notch at the bottom of the paddle for a few minutes and/or re-pairing the device.

These have all been air-gap reset numerous times since starting my HE integration weeks ago. I also reset them when they were unresponsive. I'm not sure if this is the same issue, but I will keep that in mind when the issue arises again.

The physical, digital events in that driver aren’t always accurate. The events are real, physical vs digital may be inaccurate. I just went over all the zwave switches and dimmers, so these should be much more accurate when the next release comes out.

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks, Mike.

I experience the GE Smart Dimmer regular z-wave off glitch after I unplugged my Hub for the first time to connect it to a UPS.

I have Motion Lighting with the following rule:

I cannot turn off the light! It blinks for a second then decrease the light level by 2. Its like the Physical Off is not being registered or being registered and Motion Lighting is taking over...

Bad

Crazy....I tried everything. Resetting, Excluding, Removing Rule (Which allows the light to turn off)

I would just forget about the Motion Lighting App but then I need to setup different levels for different modes which it does appear to be another app to do this conveniently.

1 Like

This is the exact same thing that happens to me.

When this happened to me I assumed it was the fault of the ported driver I was using. When it worked with my rebuilt driver, I assumed the driver was the cause. I can’t remember if I also redid Motion Lighting with all my troubleshooting. The first thing I tried was hitting the Configure buttion to resend config parameters. Have either of you tried to delete and recreate the automation? If that doesn’t work maybe completely removing the Motion Lighting app and then rebuilding the automation .

I ended up creating two additional rules in RM.

Now have 6 rules in RM and 1 Virtual Switch to control just the Fan and Light in a half bath based on, in my opinion, simple conditions…

Physical vs digital will not be accurately reported by some Z wave switches, I believe including many of the GE models, if the message comes through a repeater. The repeater will reset it so it looks like a digital event rather than a physical. This is what destroys a lot of the double tap code that tries to do everything with software rather than the ones that capture the tap pattern in the firmware of the switch itself. So depending on traffic on the network, you can get erratic results since it may depend on which repeater a message goes through.

1 Like

I'm in the process of separating the zwave drivers into two classes, the dumb ones that do not generate a report on physical actions, and those that do.
The dumb ones will have capability Refresh so folks can schedule a refresh and will not report physical/digital. The smarter lot will not have Refresh as an advertised capability and will report digital/physical.
I could think of no other way of bringing any level of accuracy to the reporting without doing something along these lines.
Scheduling a Refresh with a large number of zwave devices can have a negative impact on performance, so removing Refresh as an advertised capability from the devices that don't need it hopefully will make it easier to identify those that do require a scheduled refresh.

I have a Fibaro Dual Switch that is not refreshing the status.
So I have defined a Triggered Event Periodically every 10 secs to refresh the device.
I have defined a condition as when the rooms motion sensor is active or any of the lights are on in the room.
ON reviewing the log I see the Trigger is reporting every 10 secs even when the Condition is FALSE.

Is there a way to stop this unless the motion sensor is active or any of the lights are on?

app:3232019-01-23 07:22:20.139 pm infoGuestSwitch-Refresh is now False

app:3232019-01-23 07:22:20.076 pm infoGuestSwitch-Refresh: Periodic triggered

app:3232019-01-23 07:22:10.135 pm infoGuestSwitch-Refresh is now False

app:3232019-01-23 07:22:10.072 pm infoGuestSwitch-Refresh: Periodic triggered

app:3232019-01-23 07:22:00.139 pm infoGuestSwitch-Refresh is now False

app:3232019-01-23 07:22:00.078 pm infoGuestSwitch-Refresh: Periodic triggered

--- Live Log Started, waiting for events ---

Instead of a triggered rule, how about using a normal rule with your conditions, and use Repeat these actions every ten seconds.

Thanks @bravenel
That makes so much more sense.
I am learning more and more about the Rules Machine as I implement more and more.
Works as planned and expected

Thank you