Motion Lighting Exemption

My apartment is open floor plan. It's outfitted with 3rd reality motion sensors and WiZ color bulbs. For my kitchen/dining room I use Google voice commands to turn it off, because I don't want the lights randomly turning off while I chop vegetables etc.

This is great 95% of the time, however sometimes I'm having a candlelight dinner or themed lighting for holidays and I don't want the motion sensor changing the settings.

Conditions tried:
Lights must be off to trigger
Lights must be set to a certain color temperature to trigger

The majority of the time these seem to stop the routine when it shouldn't. I think voice commands are part of the problem, because I seem to get a random color temperature everytime I ask Google to turn them on (because the sensor didn't activate) and because when I tell Google to turn the lights off, the HE Hub doesn't always seem to be registering the light as off.

Does anyone have suggestions for a condition (aside from yet another mode) that can prevent the lights from triggering, if they have mood lighting??

Times like these I really wish it were possible to have multiple modes set at once :joy:

You can usually use a virtual switch as something to restrict things like this. Setup a switch and some rules to turn it on and off, then use the switch in your automation to limit activation by the motion sensor.

I've used this in both motion lighting and room lighting to limit motion activation whenever I have manually controlled lights using a physical device like a hue dimmer, or I can turn the switch on / off under whatever circumstances I choose, typically resetting it, for example, when I transition to night mode.

In my case the virtual switch can also be controlled via maker API for some rules I have in an instance of node red, but you can also share the switch with Google home and control it in routines there as well if you want.

3 Likes

We use mood lighting at my house a bit. I have a combination of Govee and Wiz bulbs in my bedroom. We implement control it similar to what @sburke781 suggested.

In my setup RL is used and probably 95% of the time it is simple motion control. RL controls when the color temp based on a few things.

On the occasion we want to manually control the bulbs we used a Zen34 remote. 2 buttons that both do single, Double, and Held actions. I think there is even a custom driver that can do more then 2 taps. The Zen 34 is used to trigger basically a Sleep and Wakup routine with single taps and then double taps trigger increment through scenes. It actually works really well. On important part of the manual control is that a virtual switch is used when the double taps are pressed. When the double tap down is done motion control is disabled along with incrementing through lighteffect/Scenes. Double tap up reset the bulbs and enabled motion again. Single taps down will activate a routine to put the ouse to sleep, and then single tap up enables all the functions to wake the house up.

It really works well. My wife and i use to depend on Google Mini's to control this stuff manually and put the house to sleep, but this is so much faster and more reliable. and now we don't have to talk to google if one of us is already in bed. I can post the rules and such that make this work if that sounds interesting.

2 Likes

Just tested the brilliant solution by @sburke781 At first, it worked perfectly, but then the rule stopped activating again. For no apparent reason.

Required conditions true
Logs are saying the Motion Sensor fired
But the lights don't turn on

Is there something wrong with my HE hub??

Rule is simply:
Conditions: Virtual switch NOT on
If dining room motion sensor active
On: Dining room lights

If I tap "run actions" in RM that works. I don't get it??

I am not sure why you discount that idea, it works great if you want many or all lights to be controlled. For example, I have a Sleep mode where some motion lighting doesn't activate (hallways for example), and other lights come on very dim.

I do this method as well, mostly to cancel motion lighting from turning off on a room by room basis. For example, my basement motion sensors can't always see me. I double tap the basement light switch, which sets a virtual switch to on. That V.S. cancels the off trigger. When I manually turn off the basement light, it also resets the V.S. so motion lighting goes back to normal on the next motion trigger cycle.

3 Likes

RM is quite heavy handed for motion lighting scenarios. Is there a particular reason you use that?

Also, post a screenshot of the whole rule so we can see how the conditions are applied to the rule.

1 Like

Can you post a screenshot?

2 Likes

This is exactly the difference in my example between disabling the automation and putting the house to sleep. There are use cases for both options depending on what you are trying to do.

You really should look at Room lighting it will simplify things that you can still do in RM, but much harder.

3 Likes

Also something that i just remembered that may impact this. If you turn off that override switch but the motion sensor was showing active already it needs to reach it's cooldown and trigger to active again for it to return to motion activation. That could give the perception of it failing when it really hasn't.

This is a result of the system being event based.

I often have my rules turn stuff on after I disable the override so i can return the environment to a active state immediately because of this.

2 Likes

Is manual bulbs your virtual switch?

Can you do conditions from Room Lighting? I've spent a lot of time setting up scenes in the WiZ app that do not function properly when added as a scene to HE (lights turn garish colors etc). They work when voice activated through Google, but not HE for some reason. So if I have things set via a different app, I don't want HE to change it everytime someone walks by

Yes

You may need to turn it on/off on the device details page to get a switch status recorded (that is likely why you see null next to it in the required expression)

1 Like

I would suggest from a readability perspective to change that required expression to simply "Manual Bulb is off".

Currently though the Required expression is true so motion activation should work for it.

Room lighting can do some level of Conditions, but not the same way as RM. I would also say that not all are available in RL. What kind of conditions are you thinking.

I am not sure what you mean by the scenes not looking right when controlled from HE. When you say scene do you mean a color across multiple bulbs, or do you mean light effects that do certain actions on a bulb while active?

2 Likes

Here is the RL setup I use for the effect I have. In my case i use the option to setup light periods based on Modes. Then for each mode RL determines how things activate is by setting up what each bulb does for a given. Then below that you have the ability to setup options for Overrides and what determines when the override is no longer active. You also have overrides for activation and turn off.

Then In my case I use Button controller for the Zen34 to do it special actions. One button press is simply go into Home Sleeping mode. The other based on when it is pressed puts the house in a active mode for that time of day. Then the double 1 press submits the button to ativate the nextScene for Wiz, bulbs and then submits the commands for setNextEffect for the Govee devices connected. Then if not set it turns on my override switch. This allows you to double tap 1 multiple times and increment through the lighteffect/scenes for the impacted lights. Double tap 2 simply simply turns the override switch off and then sets all of the lights back to a regular white light.

2 Likes

Either. Mainly, though, a lot of the static colors look great when programed in the WiZ app, but when I capture that same scene as a HE scene they activate as an entirely different color-- often as a garish yellow green or strange purpley brown. HE really only seems to work well with whites or reds.

Pinky violets which are most flattering to human skin tones and are great for paries or greens, which help migraines are a hot mess

I wonder if that is related to Color conversion. HE uses HSL scale for it's color picker. Govee uses RGB for it's native programing and the conversion between the two of them can make some stuff be interesting if the L value is used. How do you capture the information for the light color?

3 Likes

I'm not sure what any of that means, but here is a screenshot of the WiZ app. It uses Hex Codes, which I like because I can accurately recreate specific lighting gels

Ok I think I figured out what is happening. I was able to reproduce something that kind of resembles this

The wiz bulbs apparently have both a RGB pixel and Cool White and Warm White LED pixels. I was getting some very strange results when I would try to set the color after setting a Color temperature. What I found was sometimes I could set the color to your example above and it work and others it wouldn't. As i dug into it what appears to be the culprit is when those Cool or Warm White pixels are active and they wash out the Color pixel. I could get the vibrant color select if i set the Warm Wite and Cool White to 0. Once that was done the color would saturate and look great.

@gopher.ny is it possible someone could look at this in the driver. It may be a good idea that when someone uses the color picker or submits a color command the Cool and Warm White Led's are turned off.

1 Like