Motion Lighting App - Don't turn on if manually turned off (timer)

Hi everyone,

I'm a Smartthings convert. Enjoying Hubitat so far.

In smartthings I created a custom app for the following use case:

1. Motion On - lights turn on.
  2. Motion Off - lights turn off after delay (say 10 minutes).
  3. Lights manually turned off
  4. Motion On - lights will not turn on unless 10 minute delay has elapsed (i.e., the back on is not overridden forever, or until the next mode change as in the Motion Lighting App, but rather on the next full cycle of motion on/off/timer delay).

What's happening now is that if the physical light is turned off, it will turn on immediately on a motion detection, even if the time delay off has not yet elapsed. I'd like to avoid that as I've I've blanketed the room in question with motion sensors (to ensure all motion is caught while anyone is in the room), so the reset event should happen after the person has left and the 10 minutes has elapsed in this case. The idea is that if the person turns off the lights while they are in the room, they want them to stay off only for as long as they are in the room - not if they leave for a few hours then come back.

I'm able to do this using rule machine and boolean true/false variables, but it gets a bit complex doing this for all my lights in the home etc.

Is this possible with the motion lighting app?

Thanks much

only way i can think is a virtual switch to over ride the motion lighting rule. then reset it after "a few hours"

1 Like

Thatā€™s how I do it. In another rule have the virtual switch turn on if the physical switch is turned off and vise versa. Then in motion lighting if the virtual switch is on donā€™t turn on lights. I have the virtual switch turn off in the rule after an hour. It works perfectly.

Using that second rule you could also "pause" and "resume" the rule as well without using a virtual switch.

Can you do that with Motion Lighting?

Good suggestions - would like to try and keep everything within the motion lighting app for simplicity, though. I'll try and contact support and see if they could add it in.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.