Motion happens and stays that way - bug?

I have a dining room between my living room and kitchen. There is a motion sensor in the dining room (SmartThings newest version) that turns on the dining room light when there is motion. I would like to have it not activate if I am simply traversing this room.
I tried using RM and as the trigger, motion and stays that way for 10 seconds. When I walk through, the light turns on 10 seconds after I have passed through. Is this a bug, or am I misunderstanding the nuances of motion sensors and how they interpret motion? Is there some built-in delay for not reporting no motion that is getting in the way? Is there a better way to accomplish this?

PS - I hope I never want to replace one of these. Amazon.com

It's likely that the sensor itself remains "active" for several seconds . . . perhaps as much as a minute. That's the way all of mine operate. It has nothing to do with Hubitat.

3 Likes

Thanks, thats sort of what I expected. Kind of makes it useless as an option for motions sensors being active, then.

If you are sitting in that room, how would you know if a person is going to be "traversing" or has intentions of staying longer. The answer to this question gives you an idea of how to work around your use case. The app receives a motion event from the device and acts according to your logic. In your case, the app triggers appriately. Your rule says, that when the motion device reports that it sensed someone entering the room, to wait 10 seconds then if the motion is still active, only then turn the light on.

1 Like

But that is the problem. There is no motion in the room I traversed after triggering the motion, and yet the light still comes on. Or am I misunderstanding you?

Each motion sensor has a timer before it reports motion inactive. Some sensors even allow you to set the timeout. You will need to find a sensor that times out less than 10 seconds. Most sensors time out after 30 seconds or a minute. The only one that I can think of that allows you to set a timeout for less than 30 seconds are the Aotec Multisensors, if I remember correctly, they let you set the time out to minimum 20 seconds. There might be others too, out there, but you will need to do some research.

2 Likes

That's my conclusion also. Thanks for verifying.

This might be something to play with...

If you are always sitting at the dining room table when using the dining room, only turn on lights in the dining room when there is motion from a motion sensor attached to the underside of the table, pointing down at the floor.

Motion sensor identifies that the table is being used...chairs moving, legs moving under the table. You could intentionally kick off the light by simply moving a chair when you enter.

In this case you'd also probably want to set the motion rule to keep the lights on until they are turned off manually.

3 Likes

I use this method too in the dining room. I also have a wall mounted dining room sensor. The wall sensor will KEEP THE LIGHT ON but will not TURN THE LIGHT ON. This setup works well for us

4 Likes

Good addition...

2 Likes

After all this, and considering my alternatives, I have decided to leave it as it is at this time. In truth, there is another path to the kitchen - 11 steps vs. 9 steps via dining room. I am a lazy bastard.

1 Like

There is this hack to make the Aqara motion sensors have a timeout of 5 seconds. Unfortunately, it also makes them really unstable with every coordinator I have tried ....

Oh no you don't!!

You will not take away our vicarious pleasure of watching you purchase first, one, then two, then three additional motion sensors (and maybe an additional hub and possibly a pi running Node-Red) as you create a beautifully complex, Rube-Goldbergian miasma of home automation!

Now get back to work. Those additional two steps are driving you crazy...

:wink:

3 Likes

The Jasco/GE Smart Motion Dimmers/Switches seem to have a 20 second reset period, FWIW. I don't even see any options from the default driver to make it longer.

In general, long intervals make for better battery life. If you want a motion sensor that has a really short retrigger time, you want a hardwired sensor that doesn't worry about making its battery last.