Motion activated lighting advice

Hi,
I have a number of Rules that turn on Hue B Smart scenes based on criteria (time of day, motion etc) in most of our rooms. I find that sometimes the lighting turns off even when we are still in the room.
Is there a way of restarting the counter I have set using "pending off" so the timer restarts if motion is detected whilst the lights are on?
Or is there a better way to sort my lighting than by using rule machine?

Here is an example of what I have now...

Take a look at these built-in apps:

• Motion Lighting App
  • Hubitatยฎ Simple Lighting

Since the latter allows you to say "Turn off after x minutes of no motion", I find it is all I need for that.

1 Like

I'm a little confused. Your rule says the mode can be any of those listed but then you have a time of 3:30 - 8:00. How can you have a mode of Morning at 4 o'clock in the afternoon? Or "Early"? It seems that some of your criteria are in conflict.

This will turn the light off whenever the rule goes to false. So, either the motion changes, the time changes or the mode changes. But whenever all of those criteria are false, the lights will turn off.

That's what I want the rule to do.
I have a cloned a number of rules and changed just the times so that different brightness happens at all times. I want it do go to false if motion stops, but then if motion starts again to stop the pending off...

As to why I am not using Motion Lighting, as Hubitat doesn't support Hue scenes I see no other option that to use scenes to turn on then when turning off i turn the actual light off.

I will rethink my rules and use conditions like in the example above...

So, if you are in the room when the time changes to 8pm, you want the lights to turn off on you? But you said you don't want that.

That is because that is what your rule is set up to do.

If motion is active, then won't they stay on?
Or am I wrong?

I only use these rules on rooms like kitchen, halls, toilets etc currently and not in the lounge

Yes...you are. Like i said, with this rule, if ANY of the conditions are false, including the time range, then the lights will turn off. That's how these rules work. I would suggest moving to RM 4.0.

OK, I think I had confused myself with this!
Chatting to you as helped me see where I was going wrong...

1 Like

Hal, the reason I haven't used the built-in apps is because I am used Hue B Smart scenes rather turning on individual bulbs. Will this method still work with Motion Lighting?
The scenes don't stay on in hubitat when they are activated and you can't turn a scene off.

So what I effectively need is for a scene to turn on when motion is detected, and then lights to turn off when it stops. Is that possible? If not I will need to re-think the way I do my lighting....

You can. You would just list the devices within the scene as "additional lights to turn off" within the motion lighting app.

1 Like

Ok understood, I shall have a go and see how it works out....

1 Like

One last question for the night... my head hurts now!

How can I achieve the following?

NIGHT - turn on nightlight (hue scene), bulb off after 1 minute
DAY - turn on day scene, bulb off after 5 minutes
MORNING - turn on morning scene, bulb off after 2 minutes

This is an example, the issue I see still is that I am using Motion Lighting to turn on a switch effectively rather than an actual light. I don't want hubitat to turn on the light itself as this will restore it's previous state but to activate the captured Hue scene (not hubitat scene)

Maybe I need to rethink and use colour temperatures etc?

Whaaat?? I'm very, VERY confused by what you listed here.

If you're not turning on a light, what are you turning on?

Motion lighting will turn lights off after motion is inactive. the only other option you have is to press a button. So, if your hue scene can be activated by pushing a button then you can use Motion Lighting. If you want to go back to a previous state or turn something else on when motion is inactive you have to use another app like Rule Machine. You might be "going back to the other state" by pushing that button, what I mean is that if you want Hubitat to do that specifcally.

That said, I would be very careful about getting things too confusing too early. If you do, when one piece falls away the whole thing comes crumbling down. So, why don't you start out with what you've got, get those working, then move on to the next thing.

Sorry I tried to simplify what I am trying to achieve but looks like I have confused you...

This is an example of a Hue B Smart (custom smart app) scene. When pressed "On" it sets all my lights in the kitchen to be the colour specified in the corresponding scene on the Hue App. The device turns off instantly but the lights set by the scene stay on.

I'm going to start with a low use room with 1 bulb and get that working but ideally what I want is a scene to turn on when motion is active, and then the actual lights to turn off when motion stops...

I hope this explains it better?

Did you finish reading my whole post? i have answered your question already.

You said you DIDN'T want the light to go off but instead wanted another scene to turn on. Please make up your mind.

Yes I was trying to explain what the scenes were as you asked what i was turning on....

Okay....did you see the rest of my post and the other post now?

Yes I think things are getting a little lost in translation here. I never said I wanted another scene to turn on.
The list i gave was what I would like the light do when in a certain mode if motion is detected.
i.e by NIGHT - turn on nightlight (hue scene), bulb off after 1 minute i meant -

if location mode = night and motion is detected. then turn on nightlight scene, and then turn off the bulb activated by the scene after 1 minute

We already covered how to do that, didn't we?

There's an option "additional lights to turn off". You put the bulb in there.