Most successful presence detection?

Interesting. Might give that a shot on her phone. Locative has been solid though. Glad this helped and I appreciate the tip.

I've been using the SmartThings arrival sensor fobs for the cars.
I don't have one in pocket.
They also have been good for me for a couple years now.
The batteries, cr2032, have to be changed monthly or so.
Some people have made adapters for larger batteries for the car, but I haven't.
I'll have to check out the Iris Smart Fob.

Too bad something similar still isn't being made...or is it?

Iris Smart Fobs, model # 3450-L are scarcer than hens' teeth now. I purchased one that was "new". I saw two others listed, but without the back covers that hold the battery in. I could use them as I have old ones that could provide the missing covers, but they aren't much use otherwise.

Anything carried in the pocket gets much more wear and gathers much more dirt than something that sits in a car. I've had to glue the two sides of the case together because after a number of drops, it came apart and could not be snapped back together. That is why I purchased another one. I wanted a spare for when this one dies. Also, sometimes, the contact for the rim of the battery cell will break off. Surface mount is not the strongest of ways to mount a batteryterminal that can be stressed. Through mount would likely have been better.

I agree. It would be nice to find a supplier for them.

1 Like

Wow, it has buttons as well as proximity. The ST arrival sensor doesn't have buttons. It sends out a signal every 20 seconds, hence the one month battery life. How is the SmartFob on battery life?
I've squirreled away several spare ST sensors for when mine break.

Still loving the switch over to HomeKit for iPhone Geo Presence detection. Works flawless and is quick to respond (and still able to use more complicated automations with my Hubitat/Webcore).

One question though for those using this method, is how do I create or see the status of the actual phone’s presence from HomeKit (other than viewing the status of the virtual switches)?

1 Like

Good question... Not sure there is a native way of seeing this in the native Apple Home app on the iPhone. I wonder if one of the paid third-party Home/HomeKit apps supports seeing this information?

Battery life is long, well over a year. I have had to replace batteries in them, but not very often.

1 Like

So got responses from Apple Support. There is no direct way to see the phone’s home/away status in Apple Home app. Instead, I was redirected to use “Find My” app to see if the phone’s location is within your home. Or just setup some automation notification (which is not quite the same thing)..

2 Likes

I do this too in Webcore using motion sensors, door sensors, and TV power sensors to detect when TVs are on. I have a piston that runs every 15 min and looks to see if any of those devices are active or were active within the last 15 min. This also have been reliable for me.

1 Like