Most Popular Thermostat elevated by Hubitat in 2021

Tried a couple others but landed on Sinope Smart Wi-Fi Thermostats. They are easy to set up and work beautifully. Recommended by my power company and got a rebate.

2 Likes

I love the Sinopé Thermostats, but have the Zigbee version. Were you able to connect the Wifi version to Hubitat?

1 Like

second this as I have 5 for the baseboards in the house, work almost flawlessly.

2 Likes

I have one in a box.... I liked it but the GoControl suited my Goodman HVAC system better....

Sinope thermostats are working very well for me!

1 Like

I have been asking Ecobee to open up locally for services for years now. Each year I get the same response that the cloud API is the only way for 3rd parties to integrate. Funny they allow HomeKit to directly integrate with the thermostat but not others.

2 Likes

Curious, do most of the thermostats on the list work with standard features of HVAC? I've been frustrated that my Bryant with some of its proprietary features won't work with 3rd party smart thermostats.

I guess another question, which HVAC brands work well with 3rd party thermostats?

Can you view the votes without voting in the survey?

This is pretty common. A lot "smart" hvac equipment won't work well with a smart thermostat.

2 Likes

It's because of Thread. If HE supported thread, likely they could integrate like that as well.

My vote is for Stelpro Ki thermostat, Zigbee. Not officially supported, but still works really well.

1 Like

Usually all thermostats (within some limitations like supporting enough stages etc) are compatible with all HVAC equipment at a basic level.

The issue comes in when you want things like a 2-wire communicating thermostat, that is proprietary. Or things like variable speed blowers or variable speed compressors that are controlled by a thermostat. Or other accessories like humidifiers, dehumidifiers, zone dampers, and so on.

What usually happens when you pair smart equipment with a "wrong" thermostat is that it defaults back to being a dumb piece of equipment. Instead of your A/C compressor having infinite stages, it reverts back to a 2-stage. Or the blower motor instead of ramping and having variable speeds turns back into a simple stepped motor with a couple fixed speeds.

To me, it isn't worth losing all the smart features of the thermostat just for connectivity to my home. I really wish it wasn't that way, it is ridiculous to lock people into a closed ecosystem with no path for integration especially when these companies don't offer any other smart home devices.

2 Likes

I use ecobee for the wireless sensors as well. The cloud stuff is nice to have but I use the integration really only for reporting. And cool gauges. I have steam radiators and a boiler in a 4,000 sq ft 4 story house. No zones - wasn't a thing when the house was built. The boiler is new but the radiators are original. The house manages to stay pretty consistent, within a couple of degrees throughout.

1 Like

RadioThermostat CT101 x 2ea

Great themostat, sadly not made anymore.

As @dylan.c pointed out earlier in this thread, a lot of "smart" HVAC equipment including variable speed blowers and compressors are designed to work with proprietary communicating thermostats specific to a manufacturer.

The only way around this is to be selective when choosing HVAC equipment. I chose a two-stage heat-pump instead of a variable speed unit simply because I control the latter using conventional wiring.

I had a friend just got a new furnace in August and they kept pushing the company banded thermostat because it was cloud connected and for only $150 more. I kept telling her don't go that route but she did. Now she regrets it because room sensors are $80 each and requires a tech to install in addition they had to replace the board that connects to the thermostat twice now.

1 Like

Google Nest plus community integration for my main Heating/Cooling.
Sinope for my bathroom floor heating.

The Sinope products are outstanding.

4 Likes

I have one for my bathroom floor heating...love it

1 Like

Thank you everyone for your participation. This thread will now be closed, but don't forget to vote for the Product of the Year Elevated by Hubitat in 2021, before January 14th 2022:

Product of the Year Elevated by Hubitat in 2021