Most Popular Contact Sensor elevated by Hubitat in 2021

There is no home automation without devices featured in the next two categories covered by the "Year in Review " series . Today's episode brings the Most Popular Contact Sensors, followed by motion sensors, tomorrow.

Vote now, for your favorite contact sensor.

If your favorite device is not on the list, then select "Other" and drop a comment below, to share which device is your favorite.

• Centralite Micro Door Sensor (Zigbee)
  • Sonoff SNZB-04 Contact Sensor (Zigbee)
  • Neo Coolcam Door Sensor 700 (Z-Wave)
  • Aeotec Door/Window Sensor 7 Gen (Z-Wave)
  • NYCE Door/Window Sensor (Zigbee)
  • Iris V2/V3 (Zigbee) - NO LONGER AVAILABLE
  • Other (comment below)

0 voters

*for a complete list of compatible contact sensors, check out the "List of Compatible Devices ". Our engineers have tested 60 different models (see "Contact Sensor" under "Device Type" column).

An oldie but a goodie.... Samsung / Aeotec multi-sensor (Zigbee version)

7 Likes

Other: Wired concealed contact sensors with a Konnected Pro

3 Likes

My Visonic MCT-340 E contact sensors have been great. Small, reliable, and fast. They were very inexpensive as well. I do have a couple of the recessed Aeotec Door/Window Sensor Gen7s, so far they have worked well once I got the latest firmware on them. I am using Z-wave associations on one to turn a light on and off with a door opening and closing, which is handy.

4 Likes

I've always liked the sengleds. Small, reliable, fairly good on batteries.

2 Likes

A little heresy here - most of my contact sensors are Xiaomi Aqara. They are paired to a CC2652-based coordinator using zigbee2mqtt, and brought into Hubitat as virtual devices. While I don't recommend this convoluted setup to anyone, it has worked with no issues for me.

If I was doing it over again, I'd take the advice offered to stick with compatible devices - KISS is a good engineering principle to adhere to.

6 Likes

I think you're amongst a relatively forgiving Community here @aaiyar :slight_smile: But only this once... :wink:

4 Likes

Zooz ZSE41 Open/Close Sensor

I've been slowly replacing my other sensors with these. They just work. Simple to implement. Not overcomplicated.

Also can be used outdoors with the outdoor case which is a bonus.

2 Likes

Another vote here for these Xiaomi Aqara contact sensors. I have a bunch connected along with the Tradfri plugs, mostly stable. Tried the sonoff, battery lasts a month, has to be rediscovered weekly, and that’s sited within 5 feet of the hub.

2 Likes

I have the good ole Ecolink contact sensors. I chose them because the take a normal AA battery. They are a little bigger, but I’m happy with them.

1 Like

Two other reasons to love Ecolink. (1) they come in wood tone brown, (2) they have contacts for an external sensor.

1 Like

Aqara and Mijia are my go-to. They are small, inexpensive, attractive, great battery life, and respond perfectly when joined via HA using a ConBee 2, then brought back into Hubitat with Home Assistant Device Bridge.

I have had such success with this, that I will do it again in the new year when we move into our new home.

1 Like

So I really like the idea of the Aeotec Recessed Door Sensor 7 - very unobtrusive. .. unfortunately the reliability / battery use has been a bit hit or miss at times..

Still have I both the Gen 5 and Gen 7 working okay in my home setup.

I was very surprised how good and inexpensive is the Ring V2 Contact Sensor. (C7 Required)
download

5 Likes

These....got these on a whim and have been very happy with them. Small and great for cabinet doors too! Wish I could find more at a decent price!

1 Like

Other: Hard to get anymore but the Ge Enbrighten Door Pin contact sensor.... I have several of these and they're great

I am glad to hear these work well for you. Have you used these Ring V2 Contact sensors long enough with Hubitat to know what kind of battery life they get?

I voted for the Aeotec z-Wave contact Sensor - however I use their recessed sensor in all my doors.

1 Like

I switched my contacts to the Sengled contact sensors. Kind of a bear to set up - they're picky about which ZigBee channel to pair on, but once that's set they are fast and solid.