Most efficient way to turn off lights when no motion?

Oh I see. It is pretty much the same thing as my simple rule. The moment the motion stops (Motion becomes Inactive). The timer, which is 1 min, will start then turn the light off (delayed action). Once the motion becomes active, it will cancel the timer (delayed action) and wait for it to go inactive to start the timer again. I'm new to hubitat so I don't know about this app yet.

Hi Angus,

My sensors seem to update within 5 seconds (zwave), but this 1 minute delay was simply for testing purposes. the final delay will be more like 2-3 minutes in actual use, THanks for your feedback, however. Appreciated.

Based in USA. That's interesting to know about, but not the reason why I'm setting it up this way.
I use the garage as an office space, but the lighting will trigger to frequency when I do not need it if I have it activate via motion, so I only activate the lights manually when they are needed. Others in the house however are not good about turning off this light, so I wanted it automated to turn off if it was switched on manually.

1 Like

I use the part of the garage space as an office and activating the light via motion has proven to be an annoyance, hence the desired configuration.

GE and I think someone else has a Zwave Motion switch. I have several of the dimmer version. There is a built-in driver for them as well as a Community driver. You can set the switch up as an occupancy or for your use as a vacancy switch. There are various settings including delay off. They work very well for specific use cases.

Hi @erktrek,

Can you share a screenshot of your rule? I want to setup a similar rule for my walk in closet.

Thanks

So I have now converted all my rules to Node-RED sequences.. no longer using RM. However I think you can use a Motion Lighting rule and add a virtual switch that controls whether or not the rule is active. something like that.

edit: do all of the above and then add another rule that when a physical event happens if it's turned "physically" on then set virtual switch on to block motion rule and when turned "physically" off (or times out after 2 hrs or so) sets virtual switch to off to start the motion rule again.

E.

1 Like

Thanks @erktrek!
I have added 2 rules to pause motion rule when button 1 is pushed to turn on manually and resume rule when button 4 is pushed on manually to turn off.

Let me see if this works well

1 Like

I am setting up my first Motion Lighting rule (for my wifeā€™s closet) and running into the same difficulties that I do not see a solution to.

My use case is that I need the motion sensor to turn on the light, then after no motion for 5 minutes, turn it off.

The problem is this - sometimes my wife forgets and turn the switch off, meaning she turns it back on when entering the closet.

In the testing I have done here in the past hour, there is no way to have a timed failsafe to catch the use case where she manually activated the light, and then after 5 minutes of inactivity, it turns the light off.

We currently have several lights in our house set up this way through the Wink Hub and they work in exactly this way - it doesnā€™t matter how the lights were turned on, they are turned off after a period of inactivity from the motion sensor.

How do I accomplish this in Hubitat? The Hubitat motion lighting app seems overly specific that it wonā€™t just - time the inactivity from the motion sensor and turn off the light if no motion, regardless of how it was turned on - seems too simple almost.

What am I missing? Iā€™m getting to epic levels of frustration - I have tried to do 6-7 things with my Hubitat and only 1 of them has worked well enough to trust it.

Are you using a smart bulb with a dumb switch, or a smart switch and a dumb bulb? Once you clarify that, we can move forward as there are settings in Motion Lighting that may be able to handle certain situations.

If ALL you want is an auto-off, there are ways to do this with Simple Automations. That would be comparable to a Wink Robot.

Gotcha. Should have clarified that and thanks for directing me towards providing the right info.

Dumb switch outside the closet - smart bulb inside the closet - Iris sensor inside the closet.

My advice is to physically block the dumb switch from use. Using it will cause nothing but problems. Smart bulbs are not intended to ever be turned off with a physical switch.

Amazon has "switch guards" for exactly this issue, and it will probably fix most of your frustration fairly cheaply and easily. Amazon has dozens of styles of these if you search that term.

If you want that failsafe, Then I would look at the Simple Automations app or a community app called Auto-Off. You could set a longer (15 minute?) timer and turn off no matter what using these apps. I do this for things like bath fans, even though they are automated, there has been a time or two that I needed that failsafe.

1 Like

i would use the new app event engine.

have two triggers switch on..
then motion stops

then turn off light after a delay of x minutes.

if someone turns off and back on the light it will restart lthe delay
or if motion restarts it will restart the delay.

2 Likes

Yet another option. Bryan (bptworld) has some terrific apps.

If you are going to install his apps, be sure to install Hubitat Package Manager. It really makes it much easier to install and manage apps.

1 Like

Excellent advice and gives me a couple of options. Unfortunately I may have to make some concessions with the lady that lives with me :slight_smile: that might not be the best way.

Quick question - as I am very green with Hubitat - where do I find these apps? Is there a repository I can browse?

I should have included a link to HPM. That is the beauty of that app, once you do this one time install, you don't need to do anything but click and it downloads and installs a wide variety of apps and drivers for you...

Rule has a 1 minute timeout and motion zone has a 5 minute timeout. There are two motion sensors in there but could be done with 1 motion sensor just as effectively.

Brandon... I will offer the closet light solution I have settled on. I used contact sensors on the doors where, everyone else it seems uses motion. I have contact sensors on the doors, smart bulbs in the closet and removed the switch altogether. When the door opens, it triggers the contact "open" which turns on the light, and starts a timer. If the door (and thereby the contact) is "closed" the light goes off and the timer resets. If the door is not closed, the timer turns the light off (slowly dimming so as to not be abrupt). Closing the door resets the rule. Offering my solution which is perfect for our situation.

1 Like

Greetings EijiS. I am reading through this post questioning "lights off without motion", and am working on just such a project. Like ryderb, I am wanting to build an "auto off" when no motion is detected and am intrigued by your suggestion, as follows...
"I would do this
Triggers: Motion changed light changed
Actions:
If light ON and Motion Inactive, THEN
OFF: light delayed for 1 min cancelable
Else
Cancel delay action"
I'm still learning, so forgive my question please if it is obvious, this is built Rule Machine, correct? This looks clean and efficient so I will try to emulate. I just wanted to thank you for offering this possible solution.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.