More newbie questions

Thanks guys for lots of good feedback from my post a few days back, I have a better idea of product selection. I’m still undecided on Hubitat or RasPI (OpenHAB, HA) or a combination of both. Feedback much appreciated particularly pros and cons of each. Below is my story so far

My journey started around 2 years ago.
I’m wanting to achieve home/life efficiency not just home automation. But home automation as well to stop those situations- as in bugger I left the shed lights on - ah “hey google turn off shed lights”

Story so far

2018 installed 10 kw solar system

2019 purched Holden volt plugin hybrid EV

2019 installed myenergi electric hot water diverter and pwm EV charger (these two devices to maximise solar usage. Next month a 20kw ESS battery System gets installed.

This now leaves me the remaining inefficient power devices and home automation.

Some of the devices I’m wanting to monitor/control fronius, Daikin, alpha ESS battery system, myenergi all have api’s and or ifttt, MQTT capabilities. Future bits automated garden watering system, smart fridge.

I don’t mind getting my hands dirty with some coding, however I don’t want something thats unreliable or that I’m a slave to and have to keep tweeking
Thoughts pls

Cheers

Graeme

Graeme,

I am looking at how to connect to my Alpha ESS or my myenergi Zappi to get in for to drive other automations, but not seeing a way to get to either. Did you find a way to do this?

Will likely be installing an Alpha T10 solar system soon in a property. Would love to be able to connect it into Hubitat.

Looks like there are some ways forward…,

API docs:

Integrations:

This can be a temptation. It's easy to overcomplicate things, and I speak from experience. For many of us, it's as much a hobby (or in some cases profession) as it is making things easier around the house. And like anything to do with technology, the more complex it is, the more integrations to third party systems there are, and the more times you tweak it, the more often it breaks. On the plus side it's much healthier than day drinking and it keeps me constantly learning. And there are some very sharp and helpful people on this forum.

oops! Didn't realize this post from was 2 years ago! My bad.

2 Likes