Monoprice Z-Wave Plus PIR Motion Detector with Temperature Sensor not working

I don't know if it ever did work on Hubitat as I just moved the device over from ST. This device adopted the Generic Z-Wave Motion/Temperature Sensor handler automatically, and provided the temperature data once per hour as expected. It also provided battery and tamper events. However, it did not provide motion events despite lighting it's LED when one occurred (and taking into consideration the 5 minute delay before reactivation).

Changing the device handler to Generic Z-Wave Motion Sensor seems to provide Hubitat access to the motion events, but at the expense of the temperature details. Seems like perhaps there's a bug in the former device handler somewhere since a quick review of the debug log suggested "motion is inactive" events were present without their corresponding "motion is active" events. Those events didn't show in the Device Log, only the debug log when it was still using the default handler.

Device Details:

• deviceType: 8194
  • zwaveSecurePairingComplete: true
  • firmwareVersion: 8.2
  • deviceId: 517
  • MSR: 0109-2002-0205
  • S2: 128
  • manufacturer: 265

Hubitat Elevation® Platform Version
Hardware Version
Rev C-7

Interesting. For what it's worth, I'm using the same device with the same firmware version on a C-5 with the "Generic Z-Wave Motion/Temperature Sensor" driver, and it's reporting all events as expected. I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that yours appears to have paired with S0 security. This might be a fix that Hubitat needs to do in the driver to accommodate reports from the device in that case (though it's a little surprising since it could have paired with S0 to the C-5, too--I just chose not to--and it's usually just S2 that causes problems if the driver hasn't been updated). It could also just be something odd with Z-Wave on the C-7; if the sensor has separate "secure" and "non-secure" pairing methods and you try the non-secure one (at least just for testing, though some people don't care whether these devices are paired securely or not or have a preference to avoid S0 in favor of S2 or nothing regardless), that might help narrow things down.

1 Like

Happy to give it a shot without the secure pairing. Out of curiosity, what makes you say mine paired in S0 rather than S2?

Looks like there have been some issues with S2 compatible drivers on the C-7 since it's the first Hubitat to support S2. It also looks like there is a method during pairing to select the security measure on the hub. I'll try that out.

"S2: 128" in the device details means S0. :slight_smile: Also, I'm not even sure these devices support S2 (honestly I didn't even know mine supported S0), but if you have any information from the manual, that would probably be the best indicator. I lost mine, and Monoprice claims to not have it available in electronic format, so I'm not able to look at it anymore.

If your devices is S0-only, you won't see that popup--that's only for S2 devices, where you have options about what specific grants you want, something that isn't a concern with S0. If it's S0, there's currently no good way to force insecure pairing on the C-7 (unless you include it via a secondary controller), though in a few posts I've seen people make it happen by interrupting pairing somehow and then trying a replace, I think.

1 Like

Of course, why wouldn't someone just know that S2: 128 = S0! Pretty sure I have forced myself to throw away the myriads of paper manuals trusting the manufacturers would provide digital copies when needed. This is the closest I could find: https://downloads.monoprice.com/files/manuals/10796_Manual_131204.pdf

Getting those things to pair is already a dark art, interrupting them somehow to force them out of encryption sounds like I'll just live without the temperature reporting if and until the driver gets updated.

I'm having a very similar issue... just got a MonoPriceZ-Wave Plus PIR Motion Detector with Temperature Sensor.. can't get both functions to work, only either or. I'm on a new Hubitat Elevation. Here's the manual (i scanned) for the Monoprice.. but the information is fairly limited.

Thanks for the thread gents!!, at least I know I wasn't going insane... I'll admit that some of your talk about security protocols is currently a little beyond me.. but I did look at my device and see this:

• deviceType: 8194
  • zwaveSecurePairingComplete: true
  • inClusters: 0x5E,0x98
  • zwNodeInfo: 53 9C 80 04 07 01 5E 98 68 23 F1 00 86 72 5A 85 5C 59 73 80 71 31 70 84 7A
  • secureInClusters: 0x86,0x72,0x5A,0x85,0x59,0x73,0x80,0x71,0x31,0x70,0x84,0x7A
  • firmwareVersion: 9.3
  • deviceId: 517
  • MSR: 0109-2002-0205
  • S2: 128
  • manufacturer: 265

If you want to contact me.. i'd be happy to email you the pdf i scanned of the manual for this device.

As of last night (a firmware and driver update was pushed to my C-7) the monoprice sensor is now working for me. So I no longer have to pick temperature motion. Hoping maybe your issues can be resolved soon too! (Thanks for the thread, you saved me a lot of frustration a couple weeks ago trying to figure out what I was doing wrong).

Yes, the update got mine working again for both temperature and motion.

I have this sensor too, with a C4 hub. It sends the temperature reading only once in a while. Motion seems more on point. I suspect it doesn't report temperature unless there is a significant change.

I wonder if there is any command that can be sent to obtain a reading.

It's unlikely you can send a command to get temperature (sleepy Z-Wave devices, so most battery powered ones, aren't always listening to respond to hub commands; that's what makes "FLiRS" devices like locks so special--they support beaming that enables them to respond like they are). What's more likely is that there might be a Z-Wave parameter to adjust the temperature reporting frequency (either time or, as I've seen with most, amount of degrees), but I don't have the manual for this device anymore, and when I asked Monoprice, they said they didn't either (lolz).

However, the sensor reports as some sort of Visiontek, so maybe it's one of the models covered in this manual or at least has similar hardware and firmware: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0066/8149/3559/files/z-wave-vision-motion-detector-gen5.pdf. However, after trying to figure out which parameter was the "motion timeout" parameter, I started with parameter 1 as indicated, but I think it ended up being parameter 3. My device also reports values for more parameters than are documented, so this may not be quite right (or it could just be that these two are switched and the undocumented ones aren't intended for use by end users). But I don't see anything for temperature frequency reporting here.

But someone with the manual, the apparently rare manual, might be able to help us out here if they still have it from the box. :smiley:

1 Like

Bringing this topic back: as of a recent release (either 2.2.4 or one of the hotfixes; I can't remember), both motion and temperature work for me on a C-7 for this device. However, temperature readings below 32 degrees F are odd for me. My logs look like:

I'm not sure if this is enough information to go on (it is, of course, hard to keep debug logging enabled on this and capture it when this happens), but the trend I'm seeing is that it reports odd temperatures for temperatures below freezing; right now, when this one says -25, a nearby sensor reports 31.4 degrees F, so I imagine the "real" reading for this one would be within a degree or two of that. I'm not sure exactly what ranges this sensor is rated for but don't remember seeing this previously except a couple years ago when we had record temperatures that actually were this cold.

Anyone else seeing this? This is on my C-7 now (and paired with S0; next time I need to take it down to change its battery, I'll probably try replacing it without security), so it may be security- or C-7-specific, but I can't readily test that at the moment, so I'm just wondering if anyone else sees this. Or if perhaps staff will read this and see if there might be anything going on in the driver (or reports from the device) that would explain this. :slight_smile:

Driver: built-in "Generic Z-Wave Motion/Temperature Sensor."
Device: Monoprice Z-Wave PIR Motion Sensor (PID 15271)
firmware1Version: 10.03, as reported by Hubitat (not user-upgradeable as far as I know)

I haven’t seen this behavior in mine. However, the recent flurry of updates has broken other drivers and a number of simple lighting apps in unpredictable ways so I’m not the least bit surprised by your report.

At this point I feel resigned to rebuilding all of my apps rather than continue waiting to troubleshoot every instance when my wife to point out what didn’t work. Too bad since it was really working great before these updates.