Monitoring Temperature in the RV

Hey all,

In the RV, I don't currently have a way to monitor the temp of the RV (for dogs and cat) or the fridge...

The only way currently I have to know when the power goes out is via a notification from the Ring alarm (Alarm on battery backup)

The 2 things that I'm looking to monitor is the RV temp (should the A/C/Heater go out), and the fridge...

Ideally, I would like a Temp sensor that I can put in fridge as well as just in the RV. Don't need motion, contact or anything other than temp sensor

Since I have a C-3 at home, thinking to move it to the RV and get a C-8 for the house...

Thoughts on a temp sensor or 2 that might fit the bill?

Thanks, Rick

I have had really good luck with using Ecowitt weather sensors for this. I have one in every fridge, every freezer, the shed, attic, etc etc. They are cheap, accurate enough, reliable, and use AA batteries. They will also integrate with Hubitat without needing to talk to their own cloud. But, they DO need a LAN to report to the hub.

2 Likes

Another vote for Ecowitt. Cheap, far more reliable than z-wave or zigbee for me, and with a local wifi connection integrates beautifully (locally, with NO cloud dependence) with Hubitiat via @sburke781 driver. The "base"unit draws only about 1 watt and also gives you local temp and humidity on its own. And if for some reason the Hubitat hub goes down, the Ecowitt device can also connect via cloud to an Ecowitt app so you can still monitor the device - you're just not dependent on that cloud connection.

Even a mobile hotspot can handle the wifi/routing. In fact, I currently have an Ecowitt weather system running at an off grid property under construction (no electricity at all on site). Routing is via a Verizon home internet box, and all of it runs for a couple of days on an old marine/RV battery I had laying around.

1 Like

This thread motivated me to look and see if Centralite Zigbee Temperature/Humidity sensors are still available. Centralite was the OEM for most early SmartThings sensors, as well as for the Lowes Iris v2 sensors. My house is full of these Iris v2 Zigbee devices, which have been extremely reliable and have excellent battery life using CR2 batteries.

Ezlo bought Centralite, and appears to still be manufacturing very similar devices to the old Iris v2 sensors. I have never used their Temperature/Humidity sensors, but do see that you can buy 3 for the price of 2 on Amazon right now. That brings the price down to ~$12 a piece, which is pretty inexpensive. I just placed an order to try them out, as I'd like to see how well they work in my two refrigerators to make sure we don't lose a bunch of food should a failure occur.

3 Likes

TY, I still have a couple of these (older model) on my C-3 hub and yes, they do work great... Just picked up 3 of them to go this route.

Thanks all
Rick

2 Likes

What are you using for the network in the RV? Is the RV parked at 1 site for the season or do you travel with it? If using the local Wi-Fi at the site, I always worry if the whole site power goes out I would not get notified.

I have gone with Waggle to monitor power and temperatures when I travel with the pets. It uses the cellular network and has a built-in battery, also if it doesn't check in periodically, I get notified of the network failures.

I think it is worth the 250 dollars a year subscription.

Good question @swade

I have found very few site WiFi signals are worth anything so we don't rely on them

We are not full timers but do travel quite a bit and since I work remotely, we do need internet, so we have T-Mobile and Verizon data plans, generally 1 or the other will work.

We have a Pepwave Cellular / WiFi router which runs on 12v so we have battery backup, works pretty well having multiple carriers

Rick

Good find, please let us know how they work in the fridge.

(I forgot to mention, another thing that I like about the Ecowitt sensors is that if you choose to use their cloud too, you get good graphs for free, whereas historical data on Hubitat is another project.)

2 Likes

Now to be patient for the next sale.... maybe like the 4th of July :slight_smile:

I have one ST branded one in my attic for 8-9 years and it’s worked great. Bought a few more many years back for another attic and crawl space. Batteries last a long time.

I don’t have the temp humidity sensor in my fridge but I do have a Centralite contact sensor in there, same looking device. It has been working well for 5 or so years. Batteries last over a year.

1 Like

Received my 3 devices today... yes price is adjusted at checkout to get the 3rd one for free... It paired up instantly with no issues...

It does see the type as SmartThings Humidity Sensor

I'm inclined to leave it since it does report battery, temp and humidity, unless there is an opinion that a different device type should be used

Thanks, Rick

1 Like

Glad to hear. My 3 are supposed to arrive tomorrow or Wednesday.

1 Like

That is the driver I have used for 6 years. No issues.

2 Likes