Monitoring Large Appliance Power Consumption?

Hi All,

I've been a user of both Hubitat and the Emporia Vue for a few years now, but have never tied the two together, so that I can control appliances based on power consumption. Well, I'm likely to have a reliable need for that in coming months as we build an off grid house. Specifically, I need to be able to turn the air-to-water heat pump down for a few minutes when a high demand load (either the dryer or induction range) exceed a certain threshold of consumption, and then turn it back up when that consumption drops back below a certain level. Given that we'll have in-slab hydronic heat with a buffer tank, having the heat pump take a break while we cook a meal or dry a load of laundry won't be a big deal, and having that ability will help me avoid a much larger inverter (or an additional inverter) than would otherwise be necessary.

I know that there's an Emporia Vue driver, but it seems to require a constantly-running RPi running code that validates a token about once per hour, and it also seems that more than two API calls per minute aren't possible, which is likely a slower response than I desire. And, Emporia doesn't seem to have an official API, which decreases long term reliability. So... what other power monitoring devices for large appliances (H2O heaters, dryers, ranges) do we like at the moment, that might work with Hubitat for the purpose described? Thanks in advance for ideas and help.

Iotawatt is an excellent energy monitor, and has a Hubitat integration that works locally and directly with the hub.

2 Likes

Thank you. Iotawatt looks very promising for this purpose.