Monitoring Buffer Tank Temperatures Using Fibaro Smart Implant

This is a buffer tank for my pellet and oil boilers. It's only 120 gallons-not 1,000 gallons like some wood burning people use.

I used a Fibaro Smart Implant, which is a tiny little thing. I connected three DS18B20 temperature sensors. These sensors each have three wires and are digital. I believe they're called "1 wire", but I don't know-maybe because they share a data line.

The Fibaro supports 6 DS18B20 sensors, but I have the max length, 3 meters, and they're cheap (quality?). It'd be hard to reach anything much else with the same Implant, so I stuck with just the buffer tank.

It seems to work great. I just used the default driver that it pairs with when included. I have it set to report on a 1 deg F change. When the temperature is transitioning, it updates in 30 second intervals (not configurable).

Key is not to include the Smart Implant before all the sensors are connected. If you change the number of sensors, exclude and re-include.

It's not used to control anything; I already have sensors that do that. I just thought it was neat.

That fibaro is a cool device-very flexible. I can see using its 0-10v capability to read the voltage on a 12 volt battery, with the help of a resistor. Also has relays. And again, it's tiny.

3 Likes

I use a few of these for pool solar and HRV ventilation, 10 sensors total They are super handy, and rock solid reliable as well.

I do use the dry contacts on one of them to cycle the HRV on/off and again, rock solid.

1 Like

I had really, really bad experience with this. But I suspect it was an older model.

I now use nodemcu // konnected exclusively.

It was fun having the shorter reporting intervals of the fibaro (it's 3 mins with nodemcu), but the reliability was horrific.

1 Like

So far, so good.
Although, I'm still looking for a simple way to use a thermocouple for the chimney.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.