Moen flo virtual device

I too want this integration.

• Ability to alert via more than just the app (blink lights)
  • Ability to turn water off via leak sensors. Flo waits until water has run for longer than a shower which is a ton of water that can be avoided with strategic leak sensors.

Both of these things can be done with ifttt, native is cleaner, more reliable etc.

They also have some sensors that integrate now. I would be nice to be able to pull that data in HE. Any options other than IFTTT?

I have went round and round with Moen about this. At first they said they were working on it then they stopped answering my polite requests for access to the API. Now they have released their own water sensors and are not supporting anything else. Without a water sensor you can get serious damage before their device shuts off because of long flow time.
I gave up and bought a Dome, so I have both on my main. Overkill but I don't want another flood.
Avoid Flo until they embrace the community.

1 Like

That is pretty annoying. I guess cross that off my list of things I want.

The data is forwarded to their website and they give you a tiny bit of access, but to see categories of water use (which is haphazard at best) and reports, they require a subscription that costs $5 a month. The only factor they use to shut off the water is how long it is running, unless you buy they additional water sensors. Without them they send a warning after 15 minutes of water running and it cuts off the water after 5 more minutes. So, the water will run for 20 minutes before shut off, which will cause a HUGE amount of damage if it is an actual leak. I suggested a drain sensor to detect water going down the drain, which indicates the use is safe. If the water is running and not going down the drain it could signal a possible problem. I offered to develop it and they then stopped answering me. I suggest a different solution such as the Dome valve, which I am now using with Samsung sensors.

I bought one of these as part of an unplanned re-pipe last month (as insurance against another slow leak) and have been using the IFTTT integration. I was semi-ok with the IFTTT integration, but it was not as smooth as the Dome valve that I had for responding to alerts from the leak sensors I already had. Then Moen emailed me last week that they were discontinuing the IFTTT integration.

After looking at the web app, it appears that the Flo uses a straightforward REST API for control (but possibly Firebase for the realtime data). I cobbled together a basic driver that replaces the IFTTT capabilities (update valve state, set the device mode).

It's my first Hubitat driver, so if anyone is interested in helping me test it... let me know.

It's available here: GitHub - dacmanj/hubitat-moenflo

(Import URL: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dacmanj/hubitat-moenflo/master/moenflo.groovy)

David

6 Likes

I will give it a try. This is perfect timing as I recently got an email form Moen that they are discontinuing IFTT integration.

Installed and connected. It is pulling data, but so far when I tell it to close, it does not obey.

Did you populate the device id from Flo - My Account?

I did. Right next to the link to view the QR code correct? It sees the data, such as temp, psi and flow rate

Yes, that's where it is. Also, just remembered that I made it required, so of course you did. Anything in the logs when you click close? Does changing the mode work (home/away/sleep)?

Do you see device_id, user_id, location_id, encryptedPassword and token in the Device Details?

I added a debug logging option in GitHub if you want to update to that version and turn on debug logging it should show more of what it's doing. The mode changes should return code 204 and the valve updates and polling requests should return 200.

Thank you. I will look at it tomorrow. I appreciate your responsiveness.

Here is what I get:

alve Update Exception: groovyx.net.http.HttpResponseException: Forbidden

Logged out and logged back in with the new version and it is working. Let me know if you want me to provide any more data.

I will PM you the log.

1 Like

Awesome stuff I plan to play with this in the next day, or so. I'll let you know how it goes.

My wife takes extra long showers on Sunday's (Beauty day) and Flo has shut the water off more than once due to "abnormal behavior" (why can't it learn Sunday is beauty day!!). Massive negeitive on the old WAF! Thank you for helping me solve that issue!! :raised_hands:

2 Likes

It's working!!

Awesome job! You should put this into Hubitat Package Manager.

Works via node-red as well.

setup a donation link? I try to donate to all the devs I use code from long term. Happy to contribute to your time for this one!

2 Likes

@david2, I can't thank you enough for your hard work here. I've got this integration up and running, quite flawlessly so far.

I'm not a Hubitat driver expert either, but I've worked on your code a bit tonight and have adapted it to support the Moen Flo Smart Water Detector. It's a rough cut but appears to work great so far. The device reports air temperature, humidity, its wet/dry status, and sends battery level data as well. It has its own alarms configurable in the Flo service for all of the above, but this driver doesn't interact with those today. Install is the same process as the original; the detector gets a separate deviceID on meetflo.com that's used in configuration.

I'm also not a github expert, but I forked the repo here to hold this new content - GitHub - jlaughter/hubitat-moenflo

RAW: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jlaughter/hubitat-moenflo/master/moenflodetector.groovy

Let me know what you think!

3 Likes

Can you provide a bit more detail on how you solved this? I have the exact same problem with my Moen Flo - it shuts off the water during the occasional extra long shower.
I have not yet integrated with Hubitat, but plan to and would like to put the workaround in, as soon as I integrate it with Hubitat.
Thanks!

You need to put the flo device into "sleep mode" to prevent the water being shut off. If we have guest, or on Sunday's (when wife takes long showers) we put the unit into sleep mode. This can be done in the flo app, or via HE (I think, I use node-red mostly, my wife does it via the flo app on our mounted ipad).