Modem question

My Spectrum fiber model has a port labled ATA, what is that?

Analog Telephone Adapter?

1 Like

There is also a regular telephone port. I have my printer plugged in there for the fax (for the odd chance I need it). This port is an RJ45 port.

Probably this.

Have you checked the device’s specs or user manual documents?

ATA = Phone line
For a standard old school phone line
But in most cases you have to pay for that service :slight_smile:
An analog telephone adapter (ATA) is a device used to connect an analog telephone
[fax] machine or similar type equipment.

No. Spectrum didn't leave any. I need to figure out how to get it off the wall to see if there is a brand, model number, mac something to identify it. The parts that are visible imcand find any identifying info.

My main concern was that when I redid come cabling last night I didn't plug my router into the wrong port, so when I was looking closer I saw that ATA port.

Should be a model # on it somewhere you could Google. Or if they’re anything like Verizon, there’s only one or two fiber ONTs they’re installing in residential setups so probably not too difficult to identify by appearance.

Probably for connection to separate adapter device. Which would then have an RJ11 port to plug analog phone into.

1 Like

My spectrum modem has the key hole screw anchors on it, so try lifting it up then pulling out.

I think they installed mine originally behind my couch but I moved it to the basement and mounted it to a floor joist in the ceiling right where the coax comes into the house. We don't use any of the other coax so the rest is just disconnected now. Then I ran about 50ft of Cat5e over to the router at the top of the basement stairs.