Mode Manger ignores time of day settings

Situation:
I have Mode Manager setup with time of day as well as presence settings, as you can see above:

Time of day: MM is supposed to set the mode to Day at sunrise, Evening at sunset, and Night at 3:00, while ignoring these settings if the mode is set to Away.

Presence: MM is supposed to change the mode to Away if my iPhone leaves.

Problem:
While Mode Manager correctly sets the mode to Away when my iPhone leaves, it is not setting any modes based on the time of day. The time in the screenshot above shows 7:29pm, about 45 minutes after sunset in my location, yet the mode remains in Day. If sunset occured at 18:45 and the present time is 19:29, why hasn't Mode Manager changed the mode?

When I go into my logs, I can see the mode being changed between Day and Away as I come and go throughout the day, but I see no other entries for modes based on the time of day settings I entered.

I have verified that my Hubitat does indeed have the correct location information successfully saved when I visit http://hubitat.local/location/edit. Unfortunately I don't want to share a screenshot of that page due to privacy concerns.

Does anyone have a clue about why Mode Manager is unresponsive when it comes to time of day settings?

I know there have been problems in the past with Sunrise and Sunset variables not firing correctly in regards to mode changes. I don't know if it has been fixed or not, but my solution was just to use absolute times and adjust accordingly. It's a pain to manage, but at least my modes always fire properly.

Interesting. My searches have been unable to find others who are having trouble with the sunrise/sunset variables. Maybe I'll do some more searching with those keywords. What's odd, though, is that the sunrise/sunset variables are working A-okay with several rules I've created. If the sunrise/sunset variables are the culprit, it seems that they are only misbehaving in the Mode Manager while behaving correctly with all Rule Machine rules.

My workaround for this issue is to add a device which detects illuminance and then use the Rule Machine to create some rules which change the mode based on illuminance measurements. However, since the Mode Manager exists, I figured I would at least try to get it working before giving up on it.

That's the biggest one I could find.

Lux would work with RM, but yeah, it defeats the purpose of sunset/sunrise times. One thing to make sure of is that your hub has the correct time and force it to update via the browser. I use NTP for my hub, but I haven't tested sunrise/sunset recently after making that change.

1 Like

I'm using sunrise/sunset in Mode Manager and it's working as expected.

Another way to do a workaround in RM is to use sunrise/sunset as the trigger, and then for actions turn on/off a virtual switch. Use the virtual switch in Mode Manager "set mode with switches" to change the mode.

1 Like

I could never quite get rule manager to get things right, or at least the way I thought it should work. I don't know if it was user error, or what.

I ended up using Rule Machine. I think the thread linked below also addresses this topic. My rule is posted in that thread.

1 Like