Mode manager

Wait, really? I like that. Can you send me a link for it. Maybe I put it at the front door, too many trees on my porch but i like it. I have 3 front porch lights outside and 2 outside lights on the top corner roof pointing down on my driveway. Alexa turns these on and off based on sunrise and sunset. But having something that is outside and detecting the light would be sweet. Then I could tie that into the modes (when I get better at this stuff).

Just makes it harder to explain what is going on if you change what you're doing half way through, that's all. Remember, unless they have "staff" under their name, none of us is getting paid to be here. :slight_smile:

Could also use the lux from one of the weather apps as an alternative....

1 Like

Welcome to Hubitat.
You can't do that with Mode Manager. Mode manager does not have a trigger for Lux. You would have to do that with Rule Machine.

1 Like

I use DarkSky,net driver for my lux triggers to turn on lights.

1 Like

This is the community hardware device I am using, created by @iharyadi. It measures temperature, humidity, pressure, and illuminance all in one Zigbee device. The 'packaging' is up to the user... :wink: You can private message @iharyadi to see if he has any available, as he builds these himself.

As @Ryan780 mentioned, Mode Manager does not support Lux as a trigger for mode changes. And in all honesty, if probably shouldn't. There are many other Apps that do support Illuminance as part of lighting automations. And if all else fails, you can use Rule Machine. But please try to use the other built-in apps first, as they are much simpler and you'll get better support for them from the Hubitat Team.

Some Weather data integrations also can provide "Lux" data, but there is nothing better than having your own local device, IMHO. Having to depend on the Cloud for this data may lead to variability in the behavior of the automations.

Welcome to the Hubitat Community, @thebearmay!

1 Like

Thanks. In the process of moving all my automations and devices from ST in addition to changing cities so haven't gotten into all of the nuances yet. I'm more inclined to write rules though so may not have run into that for some time.

Please be aware that adding DarkSky at this point will mean having to replace it next year due to Apple's acquisition of the company.

1 Like

Nice, so in what ways are you using it as it relates to MODES but also just in general because I'm nosey, lol.

You're in the right place, these guys and the community here are really great.

1 Like

For me. Modes are just a global variable that I use in a few Apps / Rules to control if automations run OR what dimming levels lighting automations use.

For example, in Motion Lighting... you can see how both Modes and Lux are used to control this lighting automation.

1 Like

I know DarkSky will be deprecated next year, bummer; but question was re luminence, just way to skin the cat :scream_cat:

1 Like

Nice...although I couldn't use MM for lux...i can use the device and incorporate rules into that. NICE

That poor kitty! :wink:

Understood. I just want to make sure that we don't lead new users to use a solution that we already know will be obsolete in the coming months. If they choose to use it, so be it. I just want them to be fully informed.

1 Like

Also, the dark sky lux reading is only an estimation based on the weather in your particular area. I first tried sunrise/sunset, then went to the lux reading from dark sky, then I moved to a calculated lux based on the time of day and my location and the current cloud cover. None of them were accurate enough for me. They were close...but not quite close enough. The only thing that got to the granularity that I wanted was a real lux sensor. I currently use a Zooz mini motion/light sensor. The motion part of it was terrible so i stopped using it but the lux works great. Just remember, if you want to use it for modes and such, you need to have a true lux reading, uninfluenced by other light sources.

Agree 100%, but close enough for my needs; besides I have VS on dashboard to turn on the lux subset of inside lights. Besides I'm a miser; I would need multiple sensors due the layout of my house....

1 Like

Happy to report at 3am mode is still NIGHT! YAY! wife is telling me they phone light is too bright. Goodnight

2 Likes

Where do you have your zozo installed?

Another device that is frequently used for Lux data is the Philips Hue outdoor motion detector.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Hue-Outdoor-Wireless-Required/dp/B07NDFQF2T