Mode Manager shows null modes

Created two new modes under Settings > Modes, adjusted them in the Mode Manager app, then removed them under Settings > Modes, and now I have two null modes.

Modes 33 and 34 are "orphaned" and need to be removed:

Modes 35 and 36 are the Dusk and Dawn above:

How can these settings be cleaned up? Allow the "minus" dropdown to show null modes so they can be removed. The dropdown appears to be filtering out null modes. Maybe the app code could display the "Mode33" and "Mode34" instead of "null" and not filter it in the "minus" dropdown?

Running a C-7 on version 2.3.5.123.

1. Export any rules or apps you’ve created after removing the modes.
  2. Install a backup from before you removed the modes.
  3. Remove them from mode manager, then remove the modes.
  4. Import the rules exported in step 1.

Neat idea! Maybe it would be easier to try sort of the reverse: making a current backup, restoring an old backup, removing the removed modes from Mode Manager, exporting that app instance, restoring the current backup, then importing the exported Mode Manager? (Which really is easier might depend on what you've changed.)

That being said, I haven't tested this to reproduce, but if removing hub modes was really the cause, there is likely something in the app that Bruce could fix for the future.

2 Likes

Have never done this before. Sounds complicated and a little risky so I might just live with the 2 nulls until a bugfix is ready. I made a lot of changes lately. Maybe I get my C-5 out of retirement and test this process.

Then the solution suggested by @bertabcd1234 will work. Making and restoring backups is not risky. And the online Hubitat documentation describes the process.

The solution offered above is sound and logical. But then, there's Me. The Q I have is bolded, below the er. . . preamble :innocent:.

I've had a HE8 for about 2 months. Working well with Hue & HomeKit, about 2 weeks ago I got relatively ambitious. Not new to Apple's HK, but even the terminology stumps me at times in HE. Yet, with 30+ bulbs, 10 sensors, and extras I'm jazzed with what HE offers as I get more up to speed. But I digress. . .

Two days ago I simplified activities I might have complicated while learning, and yesterday I made my "master" backup, deleted older ones (yea, big DOH!). So the right way to recover as suggested isn't an option.

It might be easier for me to delete and re-create from scratch any rules or apps that reference any Mode (to remove the Null Modes). Would that work as well?

RATHER THAN EXPERIMENT, I'm asking here first. Yea, I shoulda done that several times along the way already, but rather than experiment further I figured it's best to reach out.

Thanks. . . Bob

Well, I waited long enough [chuckle], OCD kicked in as I awoke.

• Deleted all child apps that used a mode
  • Deleted any apps that remained childless
  • Deleted all Modes in Mode Manager
  • Deleted all Modes in Setup
  • Shut down, removed power for a bit.

After rebooting recreated what was necessary, backed up, and rebooted one more time. All seems to be well. Just came back to answer my own question, FWIW. :crazy_face:

...bob

@mike.maxwell Any chance of getting a UI code update to be able to delete orphaned modes?