Mode change in a scene?

I gather from doing a search that Scenes are used strictly for lighting devices. I want to have a "goodnight" scene that will: turn off all my lights, change mode to Night, and possibly set the thermostat (haven't decided if I want to add that yet). This combination of device states should be able to be activated by tapping a button on a Dashboard or by issuing a voice command to Google. (I know how to set up Google Assistant to activate a switch or a scene in Hubitat when a Google Routine is activated.) What is the best way to accomplish this? I'm fairly certain it will involve creating a virtual switch, but then how do I use the virtual switch as a trigger for the scene, the mode change, and the thermostat or any other non-lighting devices all at once?

Any chance of scene functionality expanding in the future to include modes and other non-lighting devices? That would be the ideal solution, IMO. Hello, feature request.

The way I view scenes and modes is that modes are there to indicate a state that the house is in and this state can be used across any number of "smarts" within your home, being used to drive behaviour in rules, in apps, etc. Scenes on the other hand, I see as pre-configured settings for, typically, a collection of devices, where you want the ability to quickly and easily adjust them all at once and be able to refer to a scene in things such as a rule, rather than configuring the settings for a scene in multiple places, making any changes to the scene more time consuming.

When using them together I would have modes drive the use of scenes, not the other way around, e.g. a transition from one mode to another would trigger the activation of a scene, where that scene may include lighting, A/V equipment, thermostat settings, etc. I don't use scenes configured in HE myself, but if what you are saying is correct, then think of my comments relating to scenes in a general sense.

In terms of triggering, my suggestion would be 3 separate levels.

First would be setting up a virtual switch used for external triggering, such as a Google Routine. I would include some reference in the name of the switch to say it changes the mode to Night. Also, set the switch to turn off automatically after a few seconds.

Second, I would setup a rule that is triggered by the virtual switch, when triggered this rule changes the mode to Night, in this case.

Third, I would setup a second rule that is triggered by the mode changing to Night. When triggered the rule will activate the scene you want, define in HE scenes, and anything else not covered in HE scenes you add as extra actions, such as your thermostat change, turning off some smart plugs, A/V equipment, etc.

Obviously you could also evolve this approach to have the rules handle changes to different modes, the virtual switch could be a toggle between night and day, etc.

I have this setup (minus the HE scene) for a few reasons, but the main one is that it allows for more than one trigger point to initiate the mode change. You could place a mode tile on a dashboard as a method of changing the mode, bypassing the first rule, but still having the same effect by triggering the second rule. Equally you can also have a physical button, another rule, etc that could also trigger the mode change.

I agree with you, if HE scenes don't include other devices it would be a nice feature to expand it, just not the mode part, IMO.

I can see in your use case that you don't want a mode change to be part of a scene. If HE included the ability, you wouldn't have to use it, of course. I think it would be a nice option. I appreciate the flexibility of the system, but it would be nice to program everything in one place and have one button to activate it all, without having to trigger another button or switch and maybe even another. Thanks for the tips, though. I'll have to play around with this a bit.

1 Like

I setup a Goodnight scene that turns off all of my lights. Then I went to the Rule Machine and made a rule that adjust the thermostat when the Goodnight scene is triggered.

1 Like