Mobile Notification "categories"

I'd like to request that the mobile app support multiple categories of notifications. Ideally they would be user configurable via whatever app or rule is sending the notification, but even a few presets would be cool to have. This way we can configure the notification sound per type and other configurations like letting HSM notifications but not less important notifications through do not disturb. Compare the last two apps that sent me push notifications:

2 Likes

Ideally, yes, but if you change to Pushover all that is already possible, and the built-in notification has other problems like the hub seems to want to re-register my phone as a new device every now and again, which means I have to update all the rules where I get notifications. I don't get that with a Pushover service device.

1 Like

This is android right?

Correct. Additionally, i hope your username is in reference to the song (especially the Ella cover) and not in reference to being like a professional knife engraver or something

1 Like

@marktheknife I need to strongly second the feature request that @giudicistefan is making here. Every notification that my phone gets from my hub sounds exactly the same due to lack of Android Notification Categories support. I'd really like to know what's happening around the house without having to pull out my phone every time.

Use cases around Hubitat Safety Monitor probably illustrate this issue best: WIth a complete lack of ability to differentiate alerts coming from Hubitat, it's impossible to immediately know alert priority. Knowing the difference between intrusion alerts, etc. vs. my dryer finishing can be pretty important. Hopefully the folks at Hubitat can agree and prioritize the implementation of this feature.

Thanks!

Do you use Tasker or MacroDroid at all? These won't help with the built-in options, more options I may include in an app/driver I am developing...

@sburke781 Thanks for your reply. I'd prefer to have native Notification Categories support from Hubitat, but in the meantime I may be willing to try Tasker or MacroDroid. I've kept my eye on both of them over the years but haven't had a real need to potentially use until now. My biggest concern is their affect on phone battery life. I'd gravitate toward whichever is the lightest, and doesn't employ wake locks, etc.

I use Tasker for various things, including reporting battery readings from my phone / tablets, so hard to say if you only used it for notifications how much more battery it would consume for just that job. I don't currently run MacroDroid, so can't comment on it, but I may dabble in it sometime soon.

@sburke781 I found MobileController; nice work, and I appreciate you helping the community! Please let me know if you think things are ready for primetime surrounding this use case; I'm happy to give it a go. My favorite thing about native notifications from Hubitat is they're FAST, nearly instantaneous. How have you found the speed of notifications using your solution?

Thanks. It's getting close to being ready. The driver and Tasker project are pretty close, at least the copies I'm running locally, the problem is I keep wanting to add new stuff :slight_smile: The App needs a lot more work... well a lot of work for me and for what I would like it to be.

To be honest I haven't actually switched to using the notifications in full using this setup in Tasker yet, but testing has certainly been more than fast enough for me. I might try and make the switch for this at the weekend and get something out... The configuration of the device, the battery reporting, heartbeat, WiFi reporting and switching between local and cloud comm's seem to all be working, plus notifications when sent manually and even cancelled, all through both HTTP Request and AutoRemote.