Mobile app periodically stops receiving push notifications

We have 2 Android phones (Galaxy s10 to be specific) with the HE app installed and set up to receive push notifications from a C7 hub on latest version. Phones are also on latest android version. Everything works as expected, except one of the phones will stop receiving notifications periodically. This happens to both phones but never at the same time. Maybe once every 1-2 weeks. Control of devices from the affected phone's HE dashboard works, just no push notifications. Looking in the phone device's log in HE shows the notifications were sent. Even manually sending a msg from the phone driver page does not work. I have found that logging out of the app and back in gets it receiving push notifications for a while until it stops again. Tried uninstalling/reinstalling the app on both phones, but it still results in lack of push notifications after a while.

I see in other threads of people fixing random issues like this with a log off, but should I be logging off/on to the app every few days? Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Does everyone periodically log out of their app. I guess I can do this, but wanted to check first.

I can also just use pushover, but I like the HE app aside from this issue.

I should also add that battery optimization on the phones is turned off for the HE app

Honestly I've always found the built in notifications to be problematic with the built in app. I use pushover and haven't looked back (also native support)

2 Likes

Probably good advice. I just set up an account. Are you using multiple virtual devices in Hubitat for each phone? Or just one? I'm guessing I will need to set up 2 seperate devices so that I can have the ability to send certain pushover notifications to either phone seperately. This will mean I need to get a seperate pushover ID for the second phone, right?

one physical device for each notification. You can use one account though. Worth the one time 4 bux to purchase. Also you can set different sound alerts based on level ([L], [M], [H])

1 Like

I have both phones working on Pushover, but since they are both on the same account, they were both issued the same USER KEY, meaning they will both recieve all pushover notifications from Hubitat.

Is there an option to have 2 seperate user keys on one account, so that I can send seperate notifications to each phone? I don't see anything for this on pushover.net user interface.

Yes, in the pushover console online, just add another device.

I too have the exact same issues. I'vr had to use pushover as a workaround. I'd prefer not to! I'm in the UK with a Huawei phone

Not sure what you mean. Both pushover and the hubitat app use the exact same method for push. Pushover though is superior in every regard though.