Mobile app device presence problem

I am no longer getting presence detection from my pixel phone (android). I also cannot send a geo event successfully or send a notification from the device page. Not sure what to do to troubleshoot?

EDIT: Ok notification is working now. I guess I won't know if geo is working until I leave? Or will a geo event register even if I'm already present?

1 Like

You can move the geofence to another location away from where you are at. You should then be able to see your phone status go to not present. Just remember to move the geofence pin back when done testing.

2 Likes

At work this morning, the app says I am out of the geofence (which I am) in the debug but device in hubitat shows that i am still at home.

Anyone else have this problem? Should I delete the device and the app and reinstall?

Can't hurt to give that a try. I have previously seen where another user had notifications fail to come through until they removed and reinstalled the app.

2 Likes

So its working this morning. I logged in and out of the app a couple of times, every time even though I selected the correct device instead of clicking on create new device it still kept making new devices of the same name.

I kept deleting the newly created devices, I also had to toggle on geofencing each time i logged back in. Not sure what fixed it but seems to be ok now.

I still can't get 1.5.3 to work consistently. I did a few more tests, and I see the following strange behavior:

1. It creates new mobile presence devices even when I select an existing one

2. With debugging turned on in the device I want to use, I see this in its log:

2021-02-12 01:24:51.742 pm debug parse null

EDIT: When it works in version 1.5.1, the log text looks like this:

01:29:45.400 pm debug parse ENTER
1 Like

same here - it created a new presence device with the same device name but didnt work.
so frustrating @bobbyD can you help ?

I noticed that if I look at the debug information in the app, before the recent update I have events that look like

ENTER: posting successful, source: GEOFENCE_TRANSITION_ENTER

and similar events when I leave the geofence. I have not had a single one of those type of events since Feb 11th. Every single event since then is

NETWORK_CHANGE

Sorry to necro this post, figured I'd put what I did on here since my devicd (Android phone) wasn't reporting presence correctly via the "Mobile App Device" device which I had linked my phone to within the last two months - I am thinking either an update to my hub or my phone's app may have partially corrupted the linkage between my Android phone's hubitat app and my Hubitat's mobile app device (linked to said Android phone).

The mobile app device was constantly reporting "not present", but if I sent a debug notification via the devices page for my phone, the notification would come in just fine and show at the top of my phone screen right when I would send it.

What I experienced (before issue resolution):

• I noticed that if I opened the Hubitat app on my phone and clicked on Geofence (bottom left, next to dashboard), that my Geofence was WAY off from where I originally set it - it had moved to the smack dab middle of the US, somewhere in Kansas or Colorado, neither of which I live near and not the GPS coordinates I had set my Geofence to be based off of, previously.

• Mobile App Presence constantly showed "not present" - makes sense since I'm never in the Midwest (is Colorado/Kansas the midwest? Let's say tornado valley, instead)

What fixed it (for my use case):

• Opening the Hubitat app on my Android device which was experiencing the issue > clicking "Settings" > clicking "Hub" > clicking my hub > clicking my mobile device app's name.

That was it for the fix! However, no confirmation from the app for what I had just done helped to say or hint anything about what I had just performed on the back end, as when I clicked my mobile device app's name just before, it kicked me back to the top level settings menu with no message or anything, so I assumed it did nothing. I went back to the Geofence page to continue triubleshooting, and it was updated with my hub's correct/original GPS coordinates. I went to my mobile app device on the devices page and it was showing present as of the last minute.

I assume the procedure of going into settings, selecting hub and then your mobile device app is how you can define which mobile device app within your hub to link the currently running Hubitat app to (e.g. which device to link your current device's GPS coords to, to use for presence tracking), but it was completely unintuitive - such a feature should be on the mobile device app page itself, for a specific device. Or at least add a popup/notification confirming what the settings>hub>device action just did, once you did it.

That's it! Cheers, all.

3 Likes

In case this helps anybody else, the bug happens when you have the app automatically create the presence device and then rename that device. Workaround is to manually create the presence device first, then link it with the app.

@gopher.ny if you or any of the other staff want to fix this, please PM me and I'll give you exact steps to reproduce, including what works and what doesn't.

2 Likes

Hi All
Since Yesterday Mobile app Device. presence is stuck
The Mobile app notifications are working well, but the presence doesent work
I move inside and outside geofence but won't detect my position.
2 day ago i have updated my Android to OxigenOS 11.1.1.1 but i quite sure the problem just start yesterday.
I need help
Waht i can do? What i can check?
Thanks

Note: i have forced the poition out if home pushing departed, because i'm out, but after 5 min it return preset.

I've been running into issues with notifications presence detection for a while now (weeks), I set it up and it works fine for a few days then suddenly notifications are no longer showing up and presence doesn't update no matter what I do.
I've created the mobile device both from the mobile app and from the hub, same issue.
Had this happen on two hubs (home and work), and on 3+ phones (family and colleagues, all Android).

Hub is C7, Platform Version 2.3.1.142
LE: dashboards and devices tabs are working OK, pressing Tools, Notifications, shows the spinner but no notification shows up. I've already deleted and re-added the devices a few times over, as well as rebooting hubs and phones.

Getting this in the logs when I re-select the device:

Help ?

Mine has been very unreliable lately as well.

Pixel 5, C7 latest firmware

@moncho1138 another couple potential issues that you may want to look at directly above.

1 Like

Just adding that mine doesn’t work either. I’m relatively new to Hubitat, it’s never worked

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.