Minimum Level setting on Inovelli LZW31 does not work after being saved

Hello all.

After the issues I had pairing, things have been pretty good except I have been having a small issue with my Inovelli Black Series dimmer switch (LZW31).

It seems that the minimum level setting does not work after setting it under the device settings.

I can set it to any number, but the light can still be dimmed to the lowest level possible (which is basically off).

I have not found any other settings that do not seem to stick.

Has anyone else had this issue? Should I post on the inovelli community page as well?

I have had this problem as well. I installed the LZW31 dimmer over a month ago. I have some of the NZW31 (older Inovelli dimmers) and the minimum level setting worked great, so I wanted to set it up on my new dimmer as well.

When I installed my LZW31 I tried to set the minimum dimming level and, as you say, I could still set the dimmer below the minimum level. After messing with it for a bit I figured I'd fix it later... And never did get around to it.

So yes, I had the same experience as you.

I don't have an LZW31, but I have an LZW31-SN (Red Series), and the parameter worked for me there. You could rule out a driver problem by trying to manually set the level with Hubitat's Basic Z-Wave Tool driver instead. It's parameter 5, size 1, with acceptable values from 1 (default) to 45, according to the manual. You could also use this tool to see the current parameter value (e.g., to see if it's not getting set correctly or if it is but the device seems to be ignoring it). I'd avoid hitting Configure after switching back to the regular driver.

4 Likes

Hey @makirules and @muir -- let me know if @bertabcd1234's instructions work. One other way you could do it is manually via this video:

However, it's definitely strange that it's not sticking in the driver.

1 Like

Sorry if I am misunderstanding. Which one is the Basic Z-Wave Tool driver? The one designated for Inovelli Z-Wave smart dimmer or something else?

Also, what will it do with the other options that I have configured with the Inovelli provided driver, like the LED intensity, color, ramp rate, etc? Will those be cleared when I select a new driver, or will those be retained somehow?

Basic Z-Wave Tool is actually a driver you'll have to install yourself. You can use it to set (or view) Z-Wave parameter values if the "regular" driver you're using doesn't offer something you're looking for:

Its intended use is: temporarily change to this driver, then change back to the "regular" drive you want to use for that device.

If you do not change any other parameters besides the one in question here (I provided the information you'll need for it above, but all parameters are also documented in Inovelli's manual), then nothing else will change, and all the settings you saved in the Inovelli driver will remain. Again, I do suggested defying conventional advice and not clicking "Configure" when you change back to the Inovelli driver, lest it overwrite a parameter you changed with the Tool. (But really, the driver should do the same thing as this tool--Inovelli's driver exposes all parameters--so if it doesn't, then there's likely just a bug with it.)

The video caption says:

to set a minimum dim level only our Red Series Dimmer Switch!

Does this mean it is only for the RED series dimmer? The question was about a BLACK series I believe.

No, it should work for either Red or Black :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well..Unfortunately that did not work.

Added the driver using the link you linked. Set the driver on that switch to the Basic Z-Wave tool and clicked save device. Entered parameter 5, size 1, value 45. Clicked set parameter.

Tested the switch and it dims all the way to where the light is off. I also tried setting the parameter and switching back to the inovelli switch driver..and that did not work either.

May have to do it at the switch like @Eric_Inovelli suggested.

Did you hit configure after changing the driver? You always have to hit "Configure" first.

Also, you don't want the dimmer to go below 45%? When you say "I can set the dimmer lower than 45%, how are you doing that? Are you holding down the lower paddle or are you requesting a percentage that is lower than 45% through Hubitat?

When you change the parameter with the Basic Z-wave tool, are you confirming that the change is saved via the logs? When using the Basic Z-wave tool I always have a second tab open to the live logs to see that the parameter is being set correctly.

You don't always have to hit configure, but if you're not sure what you're doing (and certainly if the device paired with the wrong driver or you changed it to one by accident and are switching to an acceptable driver), then it's definitely a good idea.

In this particular case, I recommended against it above due to the fact that it might send Z-Wave parameter values to the device, possibly overwriting those that were sent with the Basic Z-Wave Tool manually. I was thinking this would be one way to avoid that possibility if there were a driver bug not "reading" the user preference correctly or not sending it to the device correctly.

But since it still doesn't work this way, it looks like there might just be a problem with the device. @makirules, this is a longshot, but have you tried updating the firmware on the device? To my knowledge, nothing in the firmware betas for Red or Black dimmers so far has addressed any known issues (nor was I aware of any) with this problem, but if your device just happens to have odd firmware, updating (or re-writing the same firmware it should already have if you can get that) can't hurt in case something with yours got messed up for some reason. But Inovelli will likely have better ideas. :slight_smile:

I have not tried to update the firmware on the device. I am new to the whole zwave smart switch thing, so I have not looked at how to update the firmware.

All in all, its not a deal breaker if I can't do it via the software. I will try to do it via the switch using the video that Eric posted and go from there.

Thank you for all the help.

@Eric_Inovelli just tried setting the minimum value at the switch itself (using the video you linked). It did a long flash 4 times and 5 short flashes (which should indicate 45%)... turned it on and dimmed it down. It dimmed down all the way to off. Not sure why it isn't working when configuring at the switch or via the drivers.

Just to confirm, you held down the config button after setting it to 45% until it turned Yellow and then Cyan, correct?

If so, sounds like you may have a defective switch that we can swap out for you. I'll even set it to 45% for you :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is correct. I did hold down the config button until yellow and then cyan. I would love to swap it out (and would love it if you preset it to 45%!).

Hey, sorry for the delay here -- hard to keep up in all the forums! Can you shoot me a PM so I can get your info to send you out a new one?

1 Like

Not sure if you saw my PM, but I sent you one :slight_smile:

Any fix for this? I seem to be having the same issue.

Get with @Eric_Inovelli and see if he can send you a replacement. Unfortunately the replacement didn't work for me. It is still doing the same (even before I added it to hubitat). Eric set the minimum level before he shipped it to me, but when I installed it, it didn't work. Must be something on my end. Still troubleshooting.

Eric suggested switching out th bulbs. I swapped the ones that were in there with tp link smart bulbs. After switching them, the minimum dim level was working. The old bulbs were made by a company called longstar. I am going to pick up some other LED bulbs (not the same brand) and will test again. The longstar bulbs said they were non dim. See picture here.