Migration troubles

Tried 4 times to migrate from C7 to C8.

Backup successful, but when I got C8... No cloud backups.

I backup on C7. No cloud backup tab shows.
Shut down C7.
Open C8
Added new account to use as admin.
Find hubs and picked new C8
Went to settings , migrate hub
No cloud backup

I not sure what is wrong.

Frequently that is due to some kind of mis-match in the registration of the two hubs. Have you double-checked that? I think they are case sensitive, too!

1 Like

I've used another email for the new C8. Is that incorrect? Use the same login info as the C7?

I believe the registration must be the same. I know mine (all four) are registered to the same e-mail. I just looked at the migration guide and I didn't see it but I am almost sure. I'll tag the @support_team - they will know.

1 Like

Both hubs have to be registered under the same account.

Thanks!

It won't let me use the same email as the C7.
How do I erase and reset hub. Delete account?

It will. I had three or four hubs all using the same email address for registration.

2 Likes

Go to the account of the c8 and dereigister it. Re register it under the account of the old one.

1 Like

Adding to the above, it seems like you may not have read the migration instructions (you know, the ones with the checkbox at the top that make you confirm you've read them before you migrate): :slight_smile:

I'm not mentioning this to be snarky, only because this isn't the only possible pitfall. There are a few more things you may need to pay attention to, depending on your particular setup, in order to have a successful migration.

Good luck!

3 Likes

Where's the check box?

I did try " migrate from other hub" the first time.

Do I register the hub before anything else? This is what I tried and it said " email already used or in use"

That is what you'll need to do, that or a "manual" restore of a cloud (not local) backup, which you'll only find under your same account since that is where both are stored.

Yes, but you'll want to log in to your existing account, not create a new one. Sounds like you might be trying to do the latter.

1 Like

Ok, first I tried to use the same account as the C7, email and password. It would not let me. And there was no check.

That is still on your old hub (or at least that's the only place that screenshot would make sense to have come from). My screenshot -- and where you need to register the hub using your existing account -- is on the new hub.

Ok, first whit I tried to use the same account as the C7, email and password. It would not let me. And there was no check box because no backup found.

Both hubs MUST be registered to the same admin account or you will not be able to migrate. It does work.

My Hubitat > Registered Hub
Both hubs must show there when logged in, and both be the admin user (not a guest).

Go to the account you registered the C8 on. Go to registered hubs. You will see the C8 hub. (you can go to my.hubitat.com while logged into it) then click de-register hub. Once you have done that, log into the account the c7 is registered on and register the c8 under that account.