Migration from Smarthings to Hubitat very painful and frustrating

It's about the same. I also have a 5500 sqft house and have had no issues. I do have a strong zigbee and z-wave mesh and my hub is centrally located..

1 Like

Hi! My name is Hal. You are telling my story so I know I am in the right place. I've been coming to this community almost every day for over a year and I haven't had the urge to go back to SmartThings for a long time. Welcome! Keep coming back!

3 Likes

That has not been my experience, and I believe others have stated the same. Is it a bad thing? Maybe, if you don't understand how to work around it. Once we understand how to compensate(repeaters) for what I see as a weaker radio then I came to appreciate the flexibility of HE

I have 1 standalone repeater but many mains powered devices. It's also spelled out here How to Build a Solid Z-Wave Mesh | Hubitat Documentation .

The biggest mistakes I see of people coming over are Ghosts (Which I will keep harping on putting a warning in the z-wave addon screen about) and older devices that are non plus. Even with a mix of plus/non plus devices , the non plus mains based devices become a bottleneck

2 Likes

If you are planning/hoping to make a gradual transition - keep in mind you may have to get a few new repeating devices. My Z-Wave mesh on SmartThings had three ZEN06 outlets that I put in locations midway from the hub and edges. When I started thinking about my migration, I realized that in order to build the new (Hubitat) mesh out from the hub, I would quickly disrupt the old (SmartThings) mesh when I removed those repeating devices. So I bought three new repeating devices (the Ring repeaters) to be the foundation of the new mesh. When the transition was complete the ZEN06 devices were mostly surplus (I think I repurposed one of them - I hadn't been using them for the outlets - only for their repeating capability.

3 Likes

Thanksā€™ A LOT rlithgow1. The latency problem has improved significantly. Itā€™s just been a few days, but I think you nailed it. I had to do the ā€œUZB stick removeā€ thing on some of the devices. Dropbox - Hubitat UZB Stick How-To.pdf - Simplify your life
Iā€™m surprised that I did not experience this problem in ST? What magic do they use to avoid this, and can HE copy that solution?
One problem persists ā€œDevice status not updatingā€ I found another thread about this and I can see you have been active there as well and I will continue the troubleshooting in that thread.Device status not updating

However I manage to solve another problem I mentioned ā€œturns on lights with light level 0% without any reasonā€. This can happen when you change ā€œDimming Duration Preferenceā€ on the device. I change it to 2 sec this will then dim the light to 0% in 2 seconds when turned off or on which is nice if you want a soft light off/on, and because you set it on the device it also works when punching the switch physically. When HE sent off command it seems to start the dimming process but at 0-5% it forces the device off and the device then saves this value as ā€œlast setā€ and use it for next ā€œpower onā€ command. At least itā€™s my theory. Changing device preference back to default setting and the problem is gone. You can of course set the fade option in automation, but you miss out on physical interaction.

The issue is caused by the SiLabs SDK. ST is prone to it as well but ST uses a 500 Series chip whereas the C7 uses a 700 series (the c5 uses a 500). With the 700 it's much easier to spot ghosts. You can pair the stick to ST and likely see some ghosts there too.

Can you post your current cleaned up z-wave?

If you have any non-plus switches, they will not update on their own. This is because of the Lutron patent at the time. Once that patent expired, polling became part of z-wave plus and those will update status. The solution is to install the built in polling app to poll the non reporting switches.

The problem occurs on new z-wave plus devices (Qubino and Fibaro) I do have 2 devices without "plus" but those are working fine.

Have you tried re pairing them?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.