Migrating a Z-Wave Network

Uzb-7 should be able to find it on there. I don't use it a whole lot now that everything is stable but when I do need it, it saves me soooo much time and frustration.

1 Like

One side effect I've noticed since getting it is that I tend to be a little more recklace joining and removing questionable devices than before since I can easily remove any that I mess up.

2 Likes

Here's the Canadian mouser
https://www.mouser.ca/ProductDetail/Silicon-Labs/SLUSB001A?qs=u16ybLDytRbJsMfgk3EnSA==

2 Likes

Awesome! I placed my order. Never know when it will come in handy!!!

I was able to remove all ghost nodes except one in 2.2.3. I just updated to 2.2.4 and tried again, but no luck... This one ghost node is a persistent one... And I have no idea to what device it is linked... :frowning:

Using pc controller with a zwave stick you don’t need to know. You just reference the node id

Do you have a link to the removal instructions. I think @danabw posted them.

2 Likes

I just ordered a ZWave stick. I'll look for them and give it a try once I receive it. Thanks!

1 Like

Here is @danabw’s writeup:

Ghost Removal

4 Likes

Thanks, @672southmain...but you forgot the tag line!

Ghost Removal - Who you gonna call!?

:wink:

4 Likes

You may want to try a few more times, and include a hub reboot along the way.

I had a particularly nasty ghost that I created w/some dicey pairing of a device far from the hub, and hitting a combination of Discovery and Refresh got me the Remove button, and multiple swats on that button and then a reboot resulted in a gone ghost.

No guarantees, but it's easty to try that approach, if you haven't yet.

1 Like

With high probability, it’s the next highest node number device. Probably a failed inclusion, followed by futzing around, followed by a successful pairing. Try powering down that next highest device, then see if removal works. However, as noted above, it can be removed with the PC Controller software and UZB stick.

Think of it like a rite of passage, an initiation that we all have to go through.

3 Likes

I was thinking the same, you describe quite well what I went through... Plus the inclusion process would crash with 2.2.3... Had I waited 2 days, I could have done this with 2.2.4!!! If only I had known... :crazy_face:

Yea... I wish I hadn't had to go through it... I had a super stable mesh on my C-5, but I just had to move it all to C-7, and it isn't very stable yet...

1 Like

Once you get rid of the ghosts it should be stable. I haven't had any issues.

3 Likes

Thanks for supplying the link. busy putting the winter tires my wife's car.
All about the WAF !!

2 Likes

Watch out for the ghost tires. They can mess things up.

2 Likes

I'm noticing that I have 14 devices setup with S0 authentication... I suspect that is part of the mesh problems I am seeing. I'll have to work on changing them to "none" on my evenings this week and on the weekend... I with I had done my research ahead and found that S0 was bad before I did all this work... Lesson learned!

I plan to do the following:

1. Un-Pair with another hub
  2. Refresh until if becomes a failed node and I have the option to replace
  3. Replace it. (If that doesn't work, I'll just re-join and set the new ID on the original device)

Hopefully, I won't damage my mesh too much... It is pretty crappy right now anyway... :frowning:

S0 can be a pill. But, security devices (door locks, garage door openers, etc.) should/need to be paired with security.

Anything else that you aren't super concerned about can probably be paired without security.

2 Likes

Yeah that was my Aeotec recessed door sensor 6 issue. On the C-7 it would constantly pair as S0 even though I did not set it to that inclusion mode on the device and it would show up but be unresponsive.

For me pairing it using the secondary controller (Z-Stick) worked perfectly. So if you have forced S0 trouble (not SO trouble - that's a completely different but maybe not unrelated topic) that might be the thing to try.

:grin:

1 Like

S0 has three times the traffic of none.

1 Like

I have one on order (thanks to @lewis.heidrick!) that I’ll be able to use for this purpose if I can’t join it without S0 on Hubitat.

Ouch! Can’t be good for the mesh...

And also three times the traffic of S2. That's one of the reasons Z-Wave Plus is better, you can avoid S0.

2 Likes