Migrating a Z-Wave Network

15 devices will go quick. There's some people with over 200 devices.

3 Likes

Mine was 85 Z-Wave devices. I did it in 3 groups, plus a few unimportant stragglers. I ran both hubs at the same time, so that my house stayed running normally. For the most part it was pretty straight forward. In a couple of cases I had the same automation running on both hubs, with some of the devices controlled by one hub and the others by the other hub. I did this before we had the radio backup and restore working, as we were working on C-7.

Z-wave migrations make me want to move over to Zigbee. With Amazon, Google, and Apple endorsing Zigbee, it might be a matter of time before Zigbee is the defacto standard in the USA.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, would the new functionality on the c-7 to replace a failed zwave node also help in migrating devices over? Not sure if Iā€™m misunderstanding the feature or not.

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Z-Wave_Manual#Replace_a_failed_Z-Wave_node

Will it be possible for me to move from a C-3 to a C-7 using the same steps for z-wave above including transferring my zigbee devices?

Answered in another topic by @bravenel .

Wouldn't the node have to exist in the z-wave radio first? As opposed to the hub device database.

3 Likes

Yes

My threshold for pain is lower, Sir :smiley:

I suspect the above will create a "ghost", I heard the hub is supposed to remove ghosts automatically, but that has not been my experience with my C4 hub, and both a Zstick & Aeon Stick found ghosts, removed a long time ago(months)

No, this doesn't create ghosts.

Thanks for the clarification.
Did you ship my C7 hub yet??

Just kidding, you can't possibly keep track of 16000 orders in your head

I wasn't able to make this technique work for ZooZ Z16 MultiRelay because I couldn't edit the DNI on the subsidiary devices.

Yep. Also, won't work for S0 locks.

Hey Bruce, is there any particular significance to the 'X' or the 'B'?

I.E. would 'x' and 'y' work just as well?

For the "X" no, doesn't matter. For the "B", must be a valid hex number, but you want one large enough not to collide with assigned DNIs for Z-Wave.

Thanks Bruce. Much appreciated.

I just tried moving my C-3's stick to the C-7 (to which had restored a copy of the C-3's database) using an OTG cable.

Zigbee devices worked fine on the C-7, however the C-7's Z-Wave settings page still showed just the few Z-Wave devices that I had previously joined to it when checking it out (and none of the devices from the copy of the C-3's database). Yet the C-7's new Z-Wave logging page was showing messages that included the node ID's of the C-3's Z-Wave devices... it appeared that both Z-Wave radios were still active. Did I miss some step in the process?

Did you see any events from the node ID's of the C-7 devices? We will look into this, but I'm pretty sure that the internal radio is disabled once you connected the external radio -- assuming you shut the hub down, and powered it back up again after connecting the stick.

@bcopeland

I was able to refresh (using the refresh buttons on the Z-Wave settings page) the devices that had been paired only to the C-7 (they were still powered up at the time) and they changed from Unknown to OK. These devices did not produce any entries in the Z-Wave logging.

EDIT: Wen I did a Z-Wave repair on the C-7, the node IDs of those original devices were listed in the log of the repair. The node IDs of the C-3 devices did not participate.

I did shutdown and restart the C-7 when relocating the stick, however now that I think about it I did not do a soft reset on the C-7; I just loaded the copy of the C-3 database.