Migrating a Z-Wave Network

Before I went into smart home development, I was a network engineer..

2 Likes

Seems it's not available at Newegg Canada either... :frowning:

Habitez-vous à Québec?

Here's the one I have in amazon.ca

https://www.amazon.ca/TalentCell-Uninterrupted-27000mAh-Wireless-Smartphone/dp/B07WLD32RP/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=dc+ups&qid=1605994657&sr=8-3

Yup, I can get that one! I think I'll add it to my christmas list... :wink: I'm told it's hard to find christmas gifts for me...

J'habite en fait au Nouveau-Brunswick. C'est just à côté. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m told the same thing. My wife got me a Litter Robot for this Christmas, and I plan to integrate it with Hubitat similar to this, but without IFTTT, instead using Rule Machine to change color on Hue lightstrips under the bathroom vanities when litter tray needs emptying.

1 Like

Oh, that sounds interesting!!!

Back from my drive. So I can guarantee that it couldn’t see my Z-Wave network...

Yup, that the passenger seat of my car. And anyone from the neighbourhood where I stopped to try to remove must have been wondering who I was and what I was doing there...

Tried removing it again 4 times... Nop joy... :cry:

On that note, interestingly enough, while I was removing earlier ghosts, I once accidentally removed an active Z-Wave device... I was able to re-pair it via the instructions on top of this post, so no big issue, but I was surprised it let me do that...

So in conclusion, the ghost is still there.

1 Like

How can this be? Is there anything at all in your logs when you do this?

how do you know that it will power the hub when charging. They never say and ones i have tried don't :pensive: . The ones that do are crap and don't run the hub well.

The one I have works as a UPS and will charge and power the hub.

Well that rules out the device so still something going on with the zwave stack. The z-stick should take care of it though.

1 Like

I didn't know, but figured meh, $17. So I bought it, and it works fine. It ran an idle hub for a few days. Only thing I can fault about it is the little LED readout of battery level does not accurately reflect the level as it drains, only as it charges. I've been meaning to put it on my main production hub, and see how long it runs that before being drained.

2 Likes

Good questions! And if this crew can't figure it out, I suspect no one can...

Logs are not much help unfortunately...

The ghost node is messing with the radio in some way that is causing it to get hosed. Shutting down for a minute will reset the radio but will come back eventually until you get rid of the ghost.

It is quite unfortunate that there is no way to make it go away within Hubitat... One day maybe...?

1 Like

I suspect whatever bug in the zwave stack that is preventing it will be eventually tracked down given how disruptive it can be. This isn't common though and there is a workaround with a z stick but it's still a big problem for those without the skillset or patience to remove it.

2 Likes

I received my UZB Stick today and removed my ghost node!!! I can't believe how easy it was with the stick... Once I figured out how to use it... :wink:

Fingers crossed for a nice stable mesh now. There's a bunch of stuff that can be seen on the mesh with this - as an example, there are a bunch of Virtual Nodes where I had to remove devices... Do these serve a purpose? I'll look for a better thread to discuss this...

3 Likes

Understand that the 500 and older series of ZWave chips used only a single Node ID. Therefore the first device to be Included would use Node #2.

The 700 series of ZWave chips reserve the first 5 Node IDs. 1-5 and therefore the first available Node# is Node 6. Don't go deleting those first 5. :slight_smile: But if you do, let us know how it fails.. :smiley:

5 Likes

LOL That definitively fits with what I am seeing. I was misinterpreting what they were. What is it they say... Knows enough to be dangerous?

2 Likes

If you're gonna screw things up spectacularly, at least make a good YouTube #FAIL video. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like