Migrated to Kasa internal app from HPM - Now two apps show up

Looking for a bit of assistance. I recently migrated to the KASA Integration built in app from the "user" app, and I am happy to say everything is working fine. My issue is that I now have both versions in the app section with the user version disabled. When I go to HPM to uninstall the user version, it reminds me to make sure the "app and device drivers are not in use". My Question - If I continue with the uninstall, won't it remove my devices in use by the built in app? Just want to be sure before continuing. Thanks in advance and appreciate all the hard work that went into the app and the migration tool.

It will fail to remove the app/driver code if it is in use by an installed app or device (even if disabled I think). If you migrated the devices to the new system app, you should be safe to remove the old user app from the apps list. If any devices are still attached to the user app, they will be removed along with it, so you have been forewarned. Then you can remove the app code itself.

For the drivers, I am not sure if the migration is somehow switching the devices to the system drivers. Otherwise you may need to go into each device and change them to the system driver before you can remove the user driver code.

What all types of devices have you tested successfully with Kasa? Getting ready to do this myself? Thanks!

I have an HS200 switch, and for plugs, HS105, KP401, KP115, and EP40. All work perfectly.
I believe it supports pretty much all plugs, switches, dimmers, bulbs and light strips. The motion sensor switch and cameras are not supported as far as I know. Also, I believe it only supports Kasa branded devices. TP-Link has come out with some other lines of devices, non-Kasa, and from what I have read most (all?) do not work with this.

Here is the old community post, the new system integration is the same code as his current version: [RELEASE] TP-Link/Kasa Plug, Switch, and Bulb integration

Bad news. There is a problem with the migration function. After migrating, if you reboot the hub, the children will become orphaned from the app. Hubitat staff is aware of this. (The app is used in comms error recovery in case your IP address changes. It is also used in multi-plugs to coordinate settings during updates. There will likely be errors on the logs.)

They are transferred to the built-in version.

These were developed with users providing expansion testing for compatibility of new devices. To-date, no comment on any tried device. There is no list of devices; however, the below classes have worked without any comments. NOTE: TP-Link TAPO devices do not work. This is for KASA devices only.

Supported devices are:

• Switches
    • Note: do not support motion/light detection functions on newer models yet
  • Plug: All (single, multi, and strips)
  • Bulbs: Color, Color Temperature, single color.
  • Light Strips: single strip only.
  • EM Function: If a device supports EM Function, this integration also supports.

Recommend using the community integration for now. Then migrate once the Hubitat staff fixes the issue on orphaning children.

So as I understand it, I currently have both the Community and Hubitat app installed (with community disabled) and if I uninstall one of them the devices will get disconnected and/or if I reboot at some point the children will become orphaned. So I'm still in a pickle with what I should do next. Suggestions?

Per a discussion with someone else, there is another work-around. So simple.

Make sure the community app is still installed (devices not required). You will have to keep this installed for migrate to recover the children. THEN....

Open the built-in app and select MIGRATE again. This will find the devices (just tested). This should be done after every reboot or whenever you encounter orphan children. :blush::blush:

1 Like

Thanks djgutheinz for the advice. So far so good. Am I to assume that once the Hubitat app is corrected the community app will be removed when I do a MIGRATE at that time?

you will be able to remove it at that time. (I would test by rebooting and seeing if the children stay with the built-in app, then (if so) uninstall the community app and delete the code.

PS - I am in the same boat!!!!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.