MIgrated to C-8 Pro but no Zigbee

Just did a migration to a C-8 Pro. Everything seemed to go smoothly however none of my Zigbee devices are responding. I see messages showing up in Zigbee Devices, but I'm unable to control them. I did follow the official instructions.

I would have thought that once the Hub was receiving messages from a given device that it should work as it has a route established. It's been about two hours with a few reboots and rebuilds thrown in.

I've got about 40 Zigbee devices and I really don't want to have to pair them all again.

Any suggestions?

Try this first:

Shut down the hub, pull power, wait 30s, plug in again.

Let us know if that helps.

Did that several times.

New information, tried repairing existing devices and they are not found.

1 Like

What model HE Hub did you migrate FROM to the C-8 Pro?

I assume you mean you reset/rejoined some of the devices?

It was a C-5.

Correct.

1 Like

If I were you (and you're lucky I'm not) :wink: I'd probably be thinking about a re-do.

I assume the C5 is both shut down and unplugged?

Yep, just shutdown the C-8. Going back to the C-5 (although I don't yet know what Zigbee devices will work).

I'll do some testing on the C-8 standalone and see if I can join devices in that configuration.

FWIW I tried the channel scan several times on the C-8 and it always came up blank. I read that it's a bug, but that was on a message from last year. I works on my C-5.

Everything should be the same on the C5 as before the migrations...returning to it after a bumpy migration should not cause any problems. Just make sure the C8 is shut down/power pulled.

I had to rejoin about 8 devices. Perhaps some would have been fine, given enough time. But they had a value in the message count so I figured they should be controllable, but they were not.

2 Likes

Interesting...was it possible that the C5 was up and running while the C8 was? That can cause issues.

Migration replicates both working and not working devices, isn't a problem filter, so maybe you had some issues w/those devices on the C5 before you migrated. :man_shrugging:

I had the C-5 powered down but not unplugged. After things were not working I thought maybe the channel was wrong (wasn't sure if that migrated over or not), so turned the C-5 back on to verify and they quite likely overlapped.

No, two of them turn on the basement lights when I go downstairs and that is where the Hub is. So I would have noticed and corrected that before the migration.

I guess I will start over and hope for a better result.

1 Like

Make sure you shut down and unplug the C5 before you turn on the C8.

The Zigbee channel the hub is using is migrated along w/the devices. What worked before on the C5 should work w/the C8.

I repeated the process. Everything seemed to migrate O.K. I was receiving Zigbee messages but I am not able to control anything.

Did a Full Reset and repeated the process and got the exact same result.

It feels as though my Zigbee radio has a transmit problem. Is there a way to check on what is being transmitted via the Zigbee radio, or if it is transmitting anything?

Have you tried swapping the antennas, to rule out a bad antenna, or turning up the power on the Zigbee radio? The default power level now is 8, but originally it was 16, which is what has worked best for me. Also be aware that the C-8 seems more sensitive to interference, if you have it close to your WiFi router. Also make sure your WiFi channel doesn’t overlap with your Zigbee channel.

Be aware that channel 26 is low power in the U.S.

1 Like

I had not tried swapping antennas yet. I just setup the hub as a whole new device and I was able to pair a new device with it at about the 25ft range which seems in the normal range. It seems the problem is limited to migrated devices.

I am using channel 20 and my C-8 is about 3 feet from the router (next to my C-5 which is off). Yesterday when I tried to re-pair an existing Zigbee device on the C-8 after migration, it would not let me and I was literally just a few feet from the hub.

Changing the transmit power is a good idea. I'll see what other ideas people come up with so I can try them all at the same time.

I've done 2 migrations already today and it's not even 8 o'clock. I can see how some people are very happy with the migration process as it's pretty easy and quick. Unfortunately it does not work for me.

1 Like

I'm leaning toward hardware issue with zigbee something at this point -- it sounds to me like you've done your due diligence with reasonable troubleshooting steps. Transmit power shouldn't have that dramatic of an effect on basic performance.

Not sure if @support_team can diagnose anything via the engineering logs or if you should consider just submitting a warranty claim... Perhaps Bobby D will have more thoughts.

2 Likes

Maybe one or more of your Zigbee routers isn’t playing well on the C-8, since you are able to pair devices on it when there aren’t any other routers connected.

1 Like