MightyPaw Smart Bell - battery-free technology

We bought one of these about a year ago and trained our dog to use it to signal us when she needs to go outside. It works great.

Smart Bell by MightyPaw

The interesting thing about the design is that the button doesn't require a battery. It somehow converts the physical movement of the button into just enough current that it can transmit a signal to the base unit (that plugs into an outlet).

So my question is, can this same technology be used to communicate on the Z-wave or Zigbee protocols too? Would save a ton of batteries!

Yes. Look up Zigbee Green Power.

4 Likes

Works great (but only on Hue hub).

2 Likes

I have one of those but it takes a hefty push and click to work it. Wouldn't be suitable for a pet.

An Aeotec Wallmote might do as it's a touch interface rather than a push, if the pet's paw is conductive enough to be able to be recognised on a touchscreen. Z-wave and rechargeable by USB so no battery changing

So, how do you train the pup ? We have two large dogs. One is gentle with bladder capacity for about 3 days. When she does need to go, she will sit and paw you until you respond. The other, which half malagator, clamps onto you arm and drags you to the door, where she whines, cries and claws furiously until you can get it open. Yep, I am trained.

2 Likes

Huh?
Depends on the pet. :wink:
maker

3 Likes

I was wondering the same thing. We have a foster dog who has destroyed the paint on our back door, not two Mention two roll up screen doors, and a set of blinds.

I am confused. Yes, kinetic energy can be harvested for just about anything. What are you hoping that it would do?

FWIW we have a battery powered sensor that our dog can touch with his nose to let us know that he wants to go out. Never thought about having a kinetic powered one. Very cool.

There are youtube videos about people who have trained their dogs and cats to speak words by pressing buttons (don't expect Shakespeare) The humans start by pressing the buttons themselves while saying words the animal already seems to understand, and then doing what they said. Obviously the first two buttons are "Food" and "Outside" both of which clearly bring immediate rewards. One dog I have been following is actually starting to ask questions with their buttons. Oh I forgot to say these are buttons specially made for this, with recordable storage. But the principle of teaching pressing is the same. As a last resort I guess you can hold the animal's arm and help them press it each time just as you are about to open the door. Any average dog should be able to learn as long as the button isn't awkward to press. Cats will vary - a lot :slight_smile:

Just to be clear, this thread was not intended to be a discussion about the training process for the Smart Bell. I was looking for more information about the battery-free technology that it uses, and how it could be applied to smart home gadgets.

But since some people want to know, I'll just say that my dog isn't the smartest and it took her almost a year to learn how to reliably push the button. And now, as you might expect, it is largely an annoyance rather than an aid. Because it easier to get attention, she tries to go outside a lot more often than she did before we got the bell. Oh well.

1 Like

Applying the technology presumes that there is a problem to be solved. Is there a kinetic action that you are hoping to use to send a signal? Momentary buttons are really the only thing that I can think of that might be practical.

I keep thinking of the kinetic watches, originally marketed as never needing you to wind them. Then people began marketing powered devices that would move the watch around.

1 Like

I have a number of old Aeotec 4-button rechargeable remotes around the house. Ideally, I'd like to see some vendor offer a battery-free replacement for this type of controller. The Phillips one linked above would be awesome, if it could be paired with the HE.

1 Like

well, as long as it is the only watch you wear, it is true. You shouldn't need to wind it, your daily motion (assuming you wear it every day ) should be enough to power it for a day. That is what I found with mine, But if I didn't wear it for a day, it would slow and eventually stop within 48 hours. I had one that I was "keeping wound" on one of those winders, and it eventually slowed (never stopped, but ran slow). I just stopped wearing or leaving it in the winders for about a year, and now it runs and keeps just fine as long as I wear it daily (that doesn't happen, I have 3 of that type of watch) or wind it manually 30-60 seconds a day. I no longer recommend automatic winders, but I also don't recommend having a kinetic (Automatic) watch with more that 1 or 2 complications).

Seems like the kinetic energy in these device would just be momentary from pushing the button. I cant see that it would generate enough energy to power a radio to transmit , or for the radio to remain active long enough to receive a signal.

Such devices already exist - Hubitat doesn't support them (yet), but Hue does. For example:

https://www.sunricher.com/zigbee-green-power-switch-friends-of-hue-sr-zgp2801k4-foh.html

2 Likes