Matter support for RGB(WC) controllers

How good is Matter for supporting RGB(WC) controllers/lights?
I bought this toy on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CQX4C95N?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
hopping it is ESP32-based controller. And if it is I am planning to reuse a hardware and reflash ESP32 with something custom. But it is a Matter Device and if Matter supports these toys I may try to use it "as is". It could be my very first Matter device.

Try it via Matter, there are both HE inbuilt and custom drivers available.

Some manufacturers continue their spamming ‘tradition’ over Matter as well, but the impact on the HE performance is much smallwr in my opinion.

Thank you for the info.
OK, first try will be Matter "as is".

1 Like

OK, I got this device today and paired it as a Matter Device with built-in driver (I could not find a custom RGB(WC) driver) It works but still does not provide a direct per channel control. Unfortunately the controller is UAM026, not an ESP32 as i was hopping. But it is definitely possible to replace the existing UAM026 module with ESP32 and reflash it say, with Hubduino (or whatever else). I do need full per channel individual control but for some reason all existing ZIGBEE/ZWAVE/MATTER do not provide it "as is" and instead are trying to be to...o smart.
By any chance before I will go too far with HW modification, is Matter RGB(WC) custom driver capable of per channel control or not?

There is definitely no direct individual channel (R, G, B, W) control possibility in the Zigbee/Z-Wave/Matter standard specifications.

You can try this and this custom drivers, but these will not add individual channels control, just healthStatus in addition to the stock driver.

Thank you very much for the update.
I am really surprised why primary basic hardware functions are not exposed to the end user.
I guess, my option is to use not only custom drivers but custom hardware as well.
That is why I converted near all my strip lighting to Pixel LEDs controlled by Pixelblaze.
This gives me full individual control of every single LED in a strip. And thanks to the very nice driver designed by @zranger1 HE has full control of Pixelblaze. I have one case where I don't need Pixel LEDs but I do need simple individual control for each LED channel. Unfortunately this is not a case with all Zigbee/Zwave/Matter existing controllers. I wish, I could simply reprogram UAM026 chip but I have to replace it with ESP32.