Matter Support Released

Honestly matter has been a shite show. I've pretty much given up on it for the moment. I've had several lights and outlets. Only the tapo have survived.

Interestingly enough, the night light still responds to rules but cannot be controlled from the device page. I mentioned it to @bcopeland but he's got bigger fish to fry at the moment.

2 Likes

Ditto. Holds promise, but not reliably usable yet (for me, and the devices I've tried).

3 Likes

Are you using the Matter over WiFi Third Reality Night Light? I have one of those as my one and only Matter device. Once I updated its firmware, it has been much, much more stable and reliable.

I have it connected to Hubitat, Apple Home, and Home Assistant. It has actually been working very well for me. To be honest, I am surprised at how well it has been working. I will say that the initial onboarding process was painful - which I attribute to the early revision firmware version that the night light came with.

1 Like

Yeah it's on the latest through their app. Never helped.

Yes, my experience with Matter over WiFi (using Apple Home and Hubitat) has all been positive as well - I'm using Leviton 2nd gen switches, TP-Link Tapo plugs, and LinKind Blubs - About 10-11 Matter devices thusfar. Still using Zigbee mainly for battery driven sensors.

I've had some original provisioning issues with the Leviton's (their docs aren't helpful, HA forums are) but things have been rock solid once provisioned. - So much so, that I'm moving off some problematic ZWave+ devices, to either Matter over WiFi or ZWave LR. Not sure I'm ready for Matter over Thread just yet. But my experieces with the lack of ghosts, speed of control (given WiFi versus hops over the slower Z-mesh), stability, ability to troubleshoot a WiFi mesh (versus odd Z-wave routing) and multi-admin control has me definitely sold on Matter -

It's just a matter (see what I did there...) of getting more devices from different vendors added, and getting the last bits of credential sharing across different provisioning eco-systems resolved. I believe starting with Apple, and sticking with it for provisioning has definitely made my life easier, in terms of getting things to play nice with HE.

I've heard lots of bad things about Nanoleaf matter firmware, but I thought some pending upgrade was supposed to help - I can't comment on Third Reality ala Matter (But I do use them for Zigbee water and contact sensors with good luck).

I really need to plunge into Thread and see how ugly that world is. - Clearly vendors are still releasing various FW upgrades for Matter, so I do agreee it's still being refined, but some devices work as they should today - Obviously YMMV.

Given you two both have a Third Reality Night Light, and very different experiences, I would be curious as to what are the differences in the surrounding eco-systems.

FYI - Just saw a note for Arduino fans, for $25, the new Arduino Nano board, with Matter/Thread support is moving closer to release (supposedly be tested now)- So if you want to build your own Matter endpoints, this looks like a cost effective place to get started.

See: Arduino Labs &
https://docs.arduino.cc/hardware/nano-matter/

The Nanoleaf products are vastly improved under the latest firmware from March 20, 2024 (3.6.173). That firmware update moved the devices from Matter 1.1 to Matter 1.2. I have 9 Nanoleaf RGB bulbs and, as of that firmware update, they have become very reliable. Before that, they were terrible. So any commentary on the firmware and reliability that was made before the March 2024 / 3.6.173 update is now likely irrelevant.

3 Likes

The nanoleaf matter essentials LED strips still drop off my thread mesh repeatedly on the March firmware. So those particular devices don't work for me, and I went back to turning them on and off with a smart outlet.

My two Nanoleaf Matter devices are working very stable, commissioned via HomePod Mini. I also have one Thread power plug in between, hopefully serving as a Thread router.

What TBR you are using?

My Nanoleaf bulbs where constantly dropping from my Google Nest thread within 24 hours. I move them to my Zemismart M1 thread hub and they had been rock solid since then (more then 2 months now without dropping off).

1 Like

Multiple Amazon Echos.

With one single exception (the Nuki 4.0 lock, now I regret that I purchased it..), all my other Matter via Thread devices are rather stable when using HomePod mini as a TBR.

It seems to me that all the different manufacturers are mostly testing their Matter devices with AppleHome TBRs, targeting the more expensive devices market...

From another point of view, I have no idea how WiFi and Thread coexist well together when sharing one and the same 2.4Ghz frequency band.

I'm not planning to add any more matter at the moment. My experiments were with the Nanoleaf essentials bulbs. At first, they were problematic, but I picked up a firmware update a month or so ago, and they have been solid ever since with no issues with them not responding or dropping offline at all.
If I needed an outlet (and I do) , I would go with the Zooz Zen04.

I had bought a matter bulbs via my alexa to test the waters, but have since switched back to zigbee bulbs ..

from the sounds of these discussions, a firmware update might make them faster and more reliable

or maybe just get different bulbs

Thread is a protocol over Zigbee. I am in a really BIG apartment complex with thousands WiFi routers BT Devices around. Initially I thought, in this environment Zigbee will not work at all. But surprisingly it woks and looks very solid.

They can do what they want, but that's a recipe for pushing adoption of matter back 5 years.

More households do not have Apple home hubs thelan those that have Echo or Google Home hubs.

Either it works on all of them, or it gets a very slow consumer adoption rate, and have very high device return rates to the stores.

4 Likes

Just a point of clarification - Thread and Zigbee are different protocols, that both utilize the 802.15.4 physical layer standard. So very similar in some respects, but completely different in others. :wink:

4 Likes

Yes, I meant exactly this but my comment was not clear enough.

1 Like

This is my current utilization of the band. (+ 10 bluetooth devices). Everything is working fine. Look at channel 11

1 Like

That's a very good visualization idea!

This is how the 2.4Ghz channels are overloaded here : (
I have to identify what's what ...

Zigbee Channel Scan