Matter over Thread v/s Matter over WiFi

In the Hue app, go into Smart Home. If you already have an integration, click the plus sign. From there is should bring up four tiles (Apple, Amazon, Google, and Other). Clicking the other app brings up the Matter integration for me.

1 Like

It's actually easier than tracking versions. Go to Settings in Hue app and if you see Smart Home section, then you are ready to use Matter

But if you really want to know the version, here is the one I am running

Or...

4 Likes

The nice thing about using the Hue bridge, is that it still supports the original Apple HomeKit, which does support Apple Home’s Adaptive Lighting feature. It can also act as a Matter Bridge, if one wants to use that to bring Hue Bridge connected devices into a Matter ecosystem.

The Hue bridge is probably the most compatible lighting solution on the market, as it works with Apple Home (either via HomeKit or Matter), Amazon Alexa (either via an Alexa Skill or Matter?), Google Home (either via Google Home integration or Matter). Hubitat (via built-in local integration or Community integrations), Logitech Harmony Hub, Home Assistant, SmartThings, etc…

I have never had a single failure with my Hue lights. I have never had to re-pair any of the bulbs, never had to power cycle them, never had a bulb fail, never had to reboot the Hue bridge, etc… Yes, I paid more for Hue, but to me, the reliability and integration compatibility have been very much worth it.

6 Likes

No, the Philips Hue bulbs, motion sensors, contact sensors, button controllers, etc. are all still Zigbee.

There are a lot of new terms introduced by Matter. Matter Controllers, Matter Thread Border Routers, Matter Bridges, etc…. The Hue Bridge is able to act as a Matter Bridge, thereby allowing Zigbee devices to be “seen” and “controlled” via a Matter Controller. The actual Zigbee devices are unchanged and have no clue about “Matter”.

4 Likes

In researching issues I had with LiFX, it seems that some of the older ones had heat dissipation problems that affected the radios. I suspect that was also my issue with zigbee Sylvanias as the burn really hot.

Not the case for LIFX or Matter.. LIFX uses broadcast address to find devices, Matter uses mDNS

3 Likes

FWIW, in this case a better phrasing would be "fixed" or "reserved" rather than "static"

2 Likes

So if you choose to link with matter it says get pairing code, I assume that is the code you use to add it as a matter device in hubitat! Once you do that, is the hue bridge integration even needed anymore?

I am not sure if Hubitat has implemented support for Matter Bridges, yet… @bcopeland, care to comment?

3 Likes

That is a question for the Beta, and has already been answered :slight_smile: Bridges will be supported.

6 Likes

Do you want to control groups, zones, or scenes? If so, the Hue matter integrations with Apple and Google Homes do not support them. I’d be surprised if it was any different with Hubitat.

1 Like

Honestly, none of the above. Just three motion sensors I’m having a heck of a time getting to pair to my hub.

Coming soon .. Bridge devices will pair.. There is a bug currently, that will fail if the bridge has too many endpoints… Fix coming soon… I have a Hue bridge now to do some testing and write a driver.

And of course the Matter implementation supports community drivers too. Documentation coming soon

15 Likes

Great info Bryan! Thank you!

2 Likes

HUe bridge does pair but its emty doe to lack of hub driver.

There are no much benefits of integrating Philips Hue bridge via Matter, if compared to using the Hue specific LAN protocol.

1 Like

Question is wich one is going to be more reliable...

For the moment, there is no doubt - the most reliable are the proven existing community Hue bridge integrations

The Matter implementation in Hubitat and the Matter protocol are still very new.

2 Likes

Krassimir

Do we need comissioning hub for matter wifi devices?

Uh… I have always commissioned my Matter devices using Apple Home or Smart Life (for the Zemismart Bridge). And I always avoid WiFi devices.

Update: I've finally unpackaged a cheap Chinese Mater WiFi bulb, and I can confirm that it was not possible to pair it directly to Hubitat using the bulb QR code .

I added it first to the Zemismart hub (I had to move it close to the router; the pairing failed several times!), then I selected 'Pair via Matter' from the Smart Life app and got a new, different QR code, and this new code worked to bring it to my C-7 hub.

3 Likes