Matter is a Disaster?

I just received a pair of Thread/Matter bulbs for testing from Sengled. At least I think they're using Thread. They were definitely using Matter.

I have a Pixel 5a phone, a Google/Nest Hub display and some Google/Nest mini speakers. I'm assuming the Hub has a thread radio based on how the bulbs worked, but I'm not sure. It was a few days ago, but if I remember correctly the sequence was:

• Install bulb in socket
  • My phone popped up a box asking if I'd like to add the bulb. I didn't open any app. It just detected the bulb. I don't know what sorcery it used. Did the phone directly detect the bulb? Or did the Nest Hub detect it and launch the pop-up via my Google Home account?
  • I was prompted to scan a QR code that came with the bulb
  • I think I was asked what app I wanted to add the bulb to. I selected Google Home. From the documentation that came with the bulb, it looks like I could have also used Amazon devices and Alexa.
  • I Named the bulb in Google Home and that was it.

One of the key steps that didn't happen was anything involving the Sengled app. So with these bulbs, you don't need to download the manufacturer's app, create an account, link the account to Google Home, etc.

I didn't see the bulbs on my WiFi network, so I assume they were using Thread to communicate through the Hub display. But I understand very little about IPV6 and less about Thread, so I'm not really sure how they were connected.

It was exactly the way a consumer who doesn't want home automation to be a hobby or a part-time job would want it to work. Just plug it in and everything happens automatically.

Now I need my C7 to support Matter. I uninstalled them for now, because all of the uses I would currently have for them would require them to be controllable from within Hubitat automations.

1 Like

It appears that Matter has matured a bit since its original release. This is a promising development.

2 Likes

Yup. I thought the same when I watched Lewis a couple days ago. Every new technology goes through its teething phase ...

3 Likes