Managing multiple hubs/houses

Hi,
awaiting with excitement for my first HE. I am already thinking beyond, my home, but my mums as well, and possibly others.
Is it simple to manage several homes from one place? Would you just set up multiple dashboards, or is it a case of logging in and out?

Sorry if the answer is really simple... :slight_smile:

Welcome!!

Lots of possibilities.. HE has their cloud dashboard links you could enable on each and use those. I do not know if you have to have separate instances of your browser running or not for separate logins.

If you wanted something local you could manage them with a raspberry pi + VPN connection to each house.. something like this:

http://www.pivpn.io/

A vpn is nice to have for other reasons like secure connectivity when travelling.

Another thought depending on how techie you want to get is Raspberry PIs at each location having them ssh (see autossh) into a main server with reverse tunneling set.

1 Like

erktrek, thanks sounds complex then!

Useful link, exploring.

I struggled trying to get OpenVPN working on different containers and what not.
Thank you that installation process was so easy!

Huh this is interesting... I can only access my Pi, not anything else on my home network.
I have to investigate.

Check the addressing it hands out, it may need to be adjusted to be your own space.

1 Like

You should try openvn access server if you have a Linux machine. Setup is dead simple.

1 Like

I think that said it needed CentOS?
I don't know this is my third go around, I feel like I'm close.
I'll try that if I can't figure out what's going on...

This happened to me too on an earlier setup. There are a couple of things to try...

Make sure your in your /etc/sysctl.conf you have

net.ipv4.ip_forward=1

Also make sure you have your firewall on that server set to do MASQ something like this in your ip tables config:

-A POSTROUTING -s 10.84.0.0/255.255.255.0 -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE

Here's where I pulled this info from - had to do both to get mine to work...

That's helpful.
I'll try it out tonight when I've got some time!

I used this tutorial. It's a little older but it goes through everything step by step along with the common pitfalls. Got mine up and running in less than an hour.

Bookmarked! Raspberry PI on Christmas list. I have an arduino, But I think the upgrade worth it.
Thank you Ryan780

1 Like

My pleasure. I have my 3B running a ton of stuff. It's really quite a remarkable amount of processing power for $35. You have to know Linux but hey, that is a transferable skill.

A good friend pointed me to this thread too:

for others looking for solutions