MakerAPI - how many requests

I'm writing a Javascript plugin for Homebridge that sends request to Hubitat via the MakerAPI interface and receives data back using the websocket eventstream.

Is there any guidance as to how many HTTP request that Hubitat can sustain over MakerAPI?

Its possible that the plugin I'm writing could have to change many devices at a time (50+) and I'm wondering if there is guidance on how far apart I have to space the requests to ensure they aren't lost.

There's nothing published, but you might want to ask @fblackburn over on the node-red topic.

He has done some testing on how much can be done how fast without generating Maker API errors.

1 Like

Isn’t this the same?

1 Like

Its very similar, though my plugin is based on code I wrote for HomeSeer (homebridge-homeseer4 - npm) which is of a more modular design and supports a few additional HomeKit devices. Also, it allows multi-sensor devices to appear as a single HomeKit device (i.e., if you have a water sensor / thermostat sensor device, it will appear as a composite device).

1 Like

I don't have benchmark result anymore, but with 4 simultaneous requests via Maker API I never saw errors. More than that can cause weird issue and corrupt request resulting in error 500

I used ab to make benchmark
ex:

ab -n2000 -c4 "http://<hubitat-ip>/apps/api/1/devices/1?access_token=xxxxxxx"

But any different parameters can have different result, you should try to reproduce what you want with the endpoint you want and do some benchmark. I have never seen an error on sequential requests too
What I do with node-red plugin is throttling requests if more than 4 are already triggered until one complete

2 Likes

Thanks!

DM me if you need a beta tester. I already have two instances running, and a lot of devices that aren’t synced, so it won’t be too painful if there are any issues.

Thanks for the offer. I am currently having problems on my C-7 hub of excess events being generated on the eventStream interface, Busy messages, and other Z-wave problems (and apparently many other C-7 users are seeing this too). I'm waiting for a fix for these before I publish the plugin to npmjs (these problems are currently limiting my testing of the plugin and its performance) - I want to make sure things are working OK before I publish it. Once that happens, I'll let you know (it would be great to have others test the plugin).

1 Like

I hope the Hubitat team get these issues sorted for you, and all of the other people having issues with z-wave. Counting my blessings as I seem to be fortunate to have mostly zigbee.

1 Like

They seem to be working fast to try and sort this out. Hubitat is the first hub with the new 700 series ZWave chips so there were bound to be some "startup" problems.

1 Like

That's a very healthy attitude to have. The team has always been very hardworking when it comes to the firmware releases. I'm sure they will have it fixed soon.

@Ken_Fraleigh I have a beta on npmjs.org. See Homebridge-Hubitat on npmjs.org
There are a lot of debug messages that will be displayed on homebridge, but I'll clean those out when I'm ready to release a 1.0.0 version. If you find any issues, post them on the github "issues" page. See Github Homebridge Hubitat

2 Likes

I tried getting it to work this morning, but it wouldn’t load in Homebridge. I’m using configui-x and the config.json wasn’t a problem. What exactly do I need to do in the Makerapi settings? I’m assuming I missed something obvious.

@Ken_Fraleigh Can you send me an email at jvm33@columbia.edu and I'll send some more info.