Make Garage Door Opener smart with ZEN17

Hello,
I am trying to setup my ZEN17 universal relay to control my liftmaster 8355w garage door opener. I have the zen17 wired to the same connection on the garage door opener that the wired wall switch connects to and I used the connections that zooz says to use in their manual (R1 C and R1 NO). The wall switch still works perfect but I cannot get the zen17 to trigger the opener. I have tried straight from the relay device and also using the garage door app from zooz. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I think that's a Security 2.0 GDO? If so, you'll need a workaround for that security.

1 Like

i am not sure if you door is a dumb door or sends a special code if just a normal switch.. try touching the two original wires together going to the switch.. does it open close.. if so.. simple if not more comples and you will the something else..

if a simple switch i have the zen16 and this is how mine is hooked up

except i wire mine not to the switch but mount the zen 16 right on the struts to the opener givve it usb power and wire direct to the other end of the switch wire. so 2 are going into each terminal on the opener.

as mentioned if your garage door is not just a simple switch but your button sends some digital codes down the wire you will need a special sometihng to add.. not sure which maybe someone else can chime in .. in that case.

or simply get an extra radio opener open it up and connect /solder to the button but kinda kludgy.

1 Like

Oof, yep, it is definitely a Security 2.0 GDO. Do you know of any workarounds for this situation? Guess its time to do some more research.

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with Security 2.0 -- I was able to wire my Zen17 directly to my opener.

But if you search on garage door opener security 2.0 here in the community, there are a lot of posts about various solutions to consider. It's totally do-able to work around, that much I do know :+1:

3 Likes

You need one of these ....

This momentary switch basically gets powered from the GDO, and then use the relay terminals in the Zen17 to open your door.

6 Likes

I was just adding a couple of those to my cart!

2 Likes

:+1:

If you have more than one door, you might consider using a two-door remote? Except you either have to hardwire it, or change batteries every other year.

Ya I considered one of those but figured 10 bucks extra was worth it to not have to change batteries. And I can just mount these up by the GDO where all the wires currently are.

2 Likes

Once you get it all done, I think you'll really dig it - that Zen17 is pretty darn great.

I chose it over Zen16 because the 17 allows you to separate the Rs from the Ss -- in my case, I wanted to hard-wire in a couple dumb reed sensors to track my door position instead of having to rely on a battery tilt-sensor (mine's a detached garage that sees crazy temperature extremes).

That setup works awesome with the Z17, but wouldn't be possible with the Z16.

3 Likes

Ya I already love these devices, I already setup 2 in preparation of adding GDO control. Currently they just monitor closed state of each door but I will be adding another sensor to monitor fully opened and fully closed and once these new devices show up, door control.

1 Like

Or you can wire directly to the up and down buttons on the drive unit controller. Yeah, I maybe be just a hack.

1 Like

Wanted to circle back here and provide an update. My garadget device arrived yesterday, the one that @aaiyar linked above, and after hooking it up inline with my ZEN17 it works perfectly! Thanks everyone for your help.

5 Likes

Thought this may help someone... I originally put my Zen16 and Security+ 2.0 button in a container sitting on top of the opener, but the Zen16 kept falling off my network. I even installed a Z-Wave plug in the garage to work as a repeater. Additionally, our normal remotes in the cars didn't work unless we were VERY close to the garage. It turns out they interfered with each other sitting so close to each other. I moved the Zen16 and button and wired it to the existing wall button and now everything works GREAT.

4 Likes