Major automation overhaul - need advice!

I've had a PC based automation system running for a couple decades and it's time for a replacement. I had X10 throughout my large house with master controller switches in multiple locations. I also had a dedicated PC running EventGhost with a webserver and a usbuirt taking input from IR remotes. The X10 has become too unreliable and EventGhost seems to be reaching obsolescence. I so I'm biting the bullet and upgrading it all. I decided to replace the x10 with Zigbee so I just ordered a Hubitat C8, a few switches and receivers. I'm hoping for a relatively easy transition, but I already see a few issues that bother me.

1. With my x10 system, I had master controllers in various locations that had 16 buttons that could control scenes on, off, dim plus a master all on and all off. I don't see any Zigbee switches that have more than 4 buttons. I'm concerned about how I'll control my devices. (don't want to use a voice device).

2. My EventGhost is able to read my usbuirt to let me use simple tv remote controls to operate my home theater and related devices. I don't see that there's a way to tie it in with the Hubitat. And with EventGhost dying, I don't know how I can integrate the usbuirt control. Some suggest Node-Red but it appears to be very intimidating and I don't see how even it could receive and send IR.

3. My x10 had many various devices like chimes that could play an alert/tone upon receiving a signal. I don't see anything like that in Zigbee, just a lot of light bulbs that I can change the color on.

I really could use some advice on how to proceed now that I've ordered the Hubitat. I'm hoping that I won't have issues with the Zigbee signal strength. But I'm most concerned with replacing the heart of my automation control - EventGhost and related components. Let me know if I'm in the wrong place looking for answers!

You’re in the right place, and welcome to Hubitat!

I am not familiar with x10 or EventGhost, but others in the community will likely be and be able to chime in.

With Hubitat, you don’t need to limit yourself to Zigbee. I use both Zigbee and Z-Wave as well as integrations with Lutron, Phillips Hue and some web devices.

When it comes to your button device to control scenes, I can’t think of one that has 16 buttons. However, Lutron (requires the Lutron Pro 2 hub to integrate) has a good 5-button pico remote that is typically used to control a dimmer, but with Hubitat, the buttons can be used for anything you want.

Zooz also has a (Z-Wave) button controller that has 5 buttons in a different style than the Lutron Pico remote.

I know of some Aeotec sirens that are able to play chimes, but again, these are Z-Wave.

When it comes to signal strength, a good idea is to get mains powered devices which will help repeat the signal throughout the home.

Welcome to Hubitat! Sounds like you have a well developed system that you are used to, and it is simply aging out.

I'm going to follow this thread because I think sound notifications are definitely useful. Many people have figured out how to provide local spoken messages using smart speakers. Supposedly some of the Ikea ones do not have a mic, so that reduces privacy concerns.

Another comment you may get is that the focus of HE is to automate things, so that you do not need as many buttons. There is some validity to that, but I certainly understand that some things are not consistent enough to respond to automations. Same with my house - I just want some buttons. But perhaps you can start to think of some of the things triggered by buttons, and determine if there are certain actions, times or other events that trigger you to push those buttons. If so, can you think of devices that could capture those triggers?

Also remember that some devices will allow you to double or triple tap, so you might not need as many buttons. Another solution could be tablets with dashboards and you can get ALOT of buttons on those.

1 Like

@Wysocki Welcome to Hubitat. So this is a way to revamp your thinking and midset on everything as well. I would set what you can to be wholly automated where possible. Walk into a room, light comes on. Turn on tv, lights dim. In bathroom, based on humidity levels fan turns on. When humidity in that bathroom is within 15% of the humidity in the hallway, turn off. Etc Etc.,

Now You obviously are more used to remote control than automation and that's ok. For remote control you have your phone. That gives not only remote control but visual feedback and you can design it not only for yourself, but for everyone in the home. Sure you can have some button controllers around for control, most controllers like the Lutron Pico have 5 buttons that can be single, double, and tripple tapped.

And as said, don't limit yourself just to zigbee. A lot of us use zigbee, z-wave, clear connect (Lutron) and wifi in 100% local harmony. As a side note, personally I prefer automation and do as little direct interacting with my home as possible. I have one dash I look at for status (thermostat temp, and make sure the doors locked after we leave). For anything critical the hub sends notifications to our phones and for certain ones just my phone. Going from x10 to Hubitat and similar systems is like going from a Ford Fiesta to a Lamborghini. Lots to explore in terms of hardware, layout, and operation.

Since you are new, please look at the following post. It will help avoid some gotchas.

1 Like

What kind of Home Theatre equipment do you have? There may be some kind of integration for it. I can't help you more than asking the question :slight_smile: I have a Logitech Harmony setup myself, but that is also on the way out, so probably best not to go down that route now.

@rlithgow1 I like this one, out of curiosity how would that look in a rule - I assume rule machine would be the app ?

I have a bathroom fan rule setup in room lights with static humidity levels, however this can be problematic in winter etc.

You may be interested in this, but I can't say whether it will work with Hubitat or even do what you need / want... Still kinda cool though... (I don't own one myself)

2 Likes

@rlithgow1 Thank you, that’s awesome

1 Like

I use 2 sensors. 1 in the hallway, 1 in the bathroom

I don't use humidity as an input to any rule in my bathroom setup.
Although, I do have a small Ecowitt console that does provide that info, as well as being a nice night light.

My setup is that when you go in, motion turns on the lights. Closing the door turns on the fan. Open the door and the lights go out and the fan stays on for 5 minutes. If you want more time upon leaving, a double tap up gives you 10 minutes, and a triple tap gives you 15 minutes.

After 11:30PM motion lighting upon entrance is disabled and the fan turns off upon opening the door.

Another option is wall mount tablet running Hubitat dashboard. It's all local and very reliable for me.

1 Like

I prefer the humidity comparison. I mean in the summer I want as dry as possible so anytime the shower is turned on the fan is turned on within seconds but winter I want it humid so it's much slower to come in when doing its comparison to the main hallway sensor. It's very reliable for maintaining consistency throughout the house

4 Likes

Stream Deck is AWESOME :+1:

I use one to control everything in my home theater room. WAY better than standard wall mounted keypads!!

1 Like

I also like the Smarter Humidity Fan Community App... rather than needing to setup rules for myself...

1 Like

I don't think I've looked at that.

1 Like

Hello and welcome to Hubitat:

1. "I had master controllers in various locations..."
    A possible Zigbee alternative to that sort of thing is the attached device which can be programmed as a standard "button controller" in Hubitat:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001062612446.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.1.24795295D9OIGl&algo_pvid=55fe0478-f4d0-4416-bc3e-8c4e9931b598&algo_exp_id=55fe0478-f4d0-4416-bc3e-8c4e9931b598-0&pdp_npi=3%40dis!CAD!26.41!22.98!!!!!%402122443916867570999587823d0790!10000013986591129!sea!CA!0&curPageLogUid=bzoYww52qAjA
    It's true that it only has 4 settings, which look like a alarm system commands, but it can be programmed to do whatever you want. (If you were willing to look at zwave, Fibaro has a key fob with many more commands.)
  2. Eventghost can be tied into Hubitat, although it is quite complicated. It depends on it being a specific ip endpoint. More detailed info is available on the forum (from some really great technical people).
  3. There are various TTS devices which can be used with Hubitat. Perhaps the easiest are Alexa, Google and Sonos. You can even hookup a simple speaker to a RPI and get that working from Hubitat.

It doesn't look like it does comparison :frowning:

I"d imagine you may drive the switch to turn the "smarts" on/off based on this... Or request a change.

1 Like