Mains powered temperature sensor

Hi. Helping a friend design an automated pool system. Currently has 2 pool pumps. Was thinking zen 16 to control dedicated pool pump relays (24v coil) but then noticed that jasco has the 40 amp relays on sale for 99 bucks. With the outdoor rated enclosures makes the pump integration pretty simple. Was trying to find a reliable temp sensor for freeze protect but something that plugs into 120v so he doesn’t have to worry changing batteries.
Anyone know of a reliable temp sensor that’s 120v powered?

Tia.
Mac.

Any preference for Zigbee or ZWave or WiFi?

Never thought of a preference but as this will be his 1st automation he’s not going to have a lot of devices So with the 2 jasco 40 amp relays, might be best to stick with zwave to help build up a mesh.
I couldn’t pass those relays up. 99 bucks. If he doesn’t go through with his upgrade I’ll have some relays for my fun drawer!
Mac

Unless anyone knows if these relays have an internal temp that’s exposed to HE?
Would be great if I didn’t have to rely on another device. Just bought them tonight on line so until I add them to the network I won’t know if it has an on board temp sensor.

This is the device.

Cheers.

1 Like

That should work. It’s going outside but I can protect it in an outdoor electrical box. With the rub should be easy enough to set up a rule to glow red when it gets into a freeze condition.

Presuming these have native drivers in HE?
Thanks.
Mac

depends on distnce if too far probably nothing will work without intermediate boosters.. an ecowitt weather station sensor may work better for range...

i dont think it is a native driver.. i am using this driver i am sure you can find if you search around

/ Express Controls EZMultiPli Multi-sensor
// Motion Sensor - Temperature - Light level - 8 Color Indicator LED - Z-Wave Range Extender - Wall Powered
// driver for SmartThings
// The EZMultiPli is also known as the HSM200 from HomeSeer.com
//
// 2016-10-06 - erocm1231 - Added updated method to run when configuration options are changed. Depending on model of unit, luminance is being
// reported as a relative percentace or as a lux value. Added the option to configure this in the handler.
// 2016-01-28 - erocm1231 - Changed the configuration method to use scaledConfiguration so that it properly formatted negative numbers.
// Also, added configurationGet and a configurationReport method so that config values can be verified.
// 2015-12-04 - erocm1231 - added range value to preferences as suggested by @Dela-Rick.
// 2015-11-26 - erocm1231 - Fixed null condition error when adding as a new device.
// 2015-11-24 - erocm1231 - Added refresh command. Made a few changes to how the handler maps colors to the LEDs. Fixed
// the device not having its on/off status updated when colors are changed.
// 2015-11-23 - erocm1231 - Changed the look to match SmartThings v2 devices.
// 2015-11-21 - erocm1231 - Made code much more efficient. Also made it compatible when setColor is passed a hex value.
// Mapping of special colors: Soft White - Default - Yellow, White - Concentrate - White,
// Daylight - Energize - Teal, Warm White - Relax - Yellow
// 2015-11-19 - erocm1231 - Fixed a couple incorrect colors, changed setColor to be more compatible with other apps
// 2015-11-18 - erocm1231 - Added to setColor for compatibility with Smart Lighting
// v0.1.0 - DrZWave - chose better icons, Got color LED to work - first fully functional version
// v0.0.9 - jrs - got the temp and luminance to work. Motion works. Debugging the color wheel.
// v0.0.8 - DrZWave 2/25/2015 - change the color control to be tiles since there are only 8 colors.
// v0.0.7 - jrs - 02/23/2015 - Jim Sulin
// lgk v1.0 add debug and info logging options and auto turn off for debugging

metadata {
definition (name: "EZmultiPlim new", namespace: "erocm123", author: "Eric Maycock", oauth: true) {
capability "Motion Sensor"

my driver

sorry mixing apples and oranges.. i was reading the other guys post that say he wanted to go from the pump house and thought it was you..

here are the driver settings. i think i ported it from smartthings.. hard to remember getting senile.. i know i had these devices on smarthtings.

Thanks. Just ordered the sensor and a new hub.
Will play with that sensor later this week when it gets in.
The compatible devices does show a homeseer 200 but noted it’s a motion sensor. Either way as long as the custom driver is out there!

Thanks again.
Mac

i recall if i am not going crazy i had to pair it as s2 to get the light part working correctly.. and near the hub then move to final location.. i have one paired also non s2 in the basement so it works but only using it as a motion and temp sensor..

also the light is not true rgb as you see only about 7 colors work.. but at least any color sent shows something as in my master bedroom i have it plugged in as a motion and temp and night light.(it is not real bright) so any motion at night sends a random color to it.. i think pink , blue green, red, purple, orange work for sure.

but for sure its a cool device as it plugs in and also it is a very good repeater as i have a lot of devices even far away routing through the ones i have.

I put a smartthings leak sensor in my pump house just for temperature sensing. It is battery powered, but a battery lasts the winter season, and they used to be available for $20 (now more like $40! -- glad I have all I need). I don't know if it would work over that kind of distance, but mine is about 40 feet from the nearest repeater and it works OK. Something that plugs in would be ideal for this, I agree.

I'm a big fan of the Hue outdoor motion sensors. They are designed for being outside so that is not an issue. They are battery powered, but run on 3 AA and that lasts about 3 years for me. They do motion and temperature. I don't know that I'd buy one just for temperature, but they are awesome motion sensors -- great range and sensitivity and fast response.

There is a thread back a few years that I and others were discussing pool temp and sensors. I couldn't find it quickly for a link , sorry.
I was using FIbaro Z-Wave but came to HE after ST and they just weren't supported. I changed to FIbaro FGBS-222s and DB18B20 probes. I added a power supply (they don't come with one) and plug them into AC in the shed next to the pool. There I have 2 Z-Wave switches controlling the pool pump and the solar heater pump via WebCore.

https://www.amazon.com/HomeSeer-HSM200-Z-Wave-Multisensor-Indicator/dp/B00Q59PBZE/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=39J9A5L9AH6F3&keywords=z+wave+motion+sensor&qid=1667472789&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI0LjkzIiwicXNhIjoiNC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjMuODIifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=zwave+motion+sensor%2Caps%2C85&sr=8-2-spons&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc&psc=1&smid=A1AC0W93NWDIEG

This Homeseer mains powered motion sensor i have several of, it does temp and lumens also. The default settings when you add the device do not work, change the value of lux and temp reporting interval to 1 and it works perfectly. Dont ask me why, trial and error but setting these two values to 1 will clear active triggers after a minute otherwise it will hang active for who knows how long. Lumens are measured on a 0-100 scale, fyi. Works great if you make these simple changes to the device settings. j

Thanks. My relays were shipped yesterday. The sensor should be already shipped. This is going to be a fun integration.

@JJackson75080
These look intriguing. Based on your experience, after you make the adjustments you noted, can these work as the following simultaneously?:

1. A warm white/yellow gold nightlight that only goes on when it is both dark and senses motion? If so, can you set how long the light stays on after it senses motion?
  2. A red light goes on if there is a significant issue (ie someone left a door open for longer than x)
  3. An blue (or other color) light if there is a less significant issue (ie light left on in crawl as reported by the lux sensor down there), etc.
  4. Signal to Hubitat that it detected motion to use for other automations?

it has no nightlight functions. it will light up for an instant on motion only. As far as reporting motion the HE, thats its primary purpose - motion sensor. It will also report lumens that can be used in HE as conditions. One more thing to consider - it is the only mains powered motion sensor i found that has a great repeater radio to help your mesh. Remember - battery powered devices most of the time do not repeat they only report - its what makes the battery last so long. It is the only motion sensor i found that is mains powered and the repeater radio is excellent.

@JJackson75080 Thank you! Great info.
re #1: I'm wondering if there is some sort of setting exposed in HE that can be set to cause the light to stay on longer when it detects motion.
re: #2 & #3: Are the variables to set different lights for different issues exposed in HE?
re: #4: Sounds like it works great for that!

so while the device is solid - the drivers are pretty weak. None of what you described is something you can get to and if you dont use a timeout setting of 1 and 1 then it doesnt work at all. Active motion will stay active for a long time if not forever. Makes no sense but i played for hours with it to figure that out. I dont understand your question 2 and 3. The device answer is set the defualts to 1 and 1 and it works great as both a motion sensor and light sensor. Your question 2 and 3 are a different question. Expand on this question - what are you trying to do? A great idea is write a rule machine rule that you want to do something but cant make work - then post a screen shot. I'll help you joe