Mains Powered Scene Controller w/ buttons

(wiping the egg from my face)... guess the only thing left now is to find this dang device :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, first you need an RA2 system (not RA2 Select, which does not support these either). So, if you don't already have that, there's a bit of a cost with that alone, as you'll need at least the Main Repeater (the RA2 equivalent of a Caséta Pro Bridge as far as the network is concerned) to get started. Pricing for that appears to start around $150 on eBay (I was lucky and got mine around that price) to $450 or more from online retailers. The system is technically intended for professional installation, so contacting a local (or not) authorized Lutron dealer is what they'd want you to do. I don't know what real-world pricing usually is for these, as I went the former route.

For the actual keypads, price varies depending on model. Lutron lists all RA2-compatible models on their website (see the "Keypads" section). A quick search for the RRD-W5BRLIR model, a 5-button plus raise/lower buttons model, makes it look like they are $250-275 new. I see one for $130 on eBay, but it's not clear to me if it comes with the engraving certificate (which if you're paying this much for it and don't want blank buttons, you might as well get). Other models will likely be different.

So far, I've stuck with Picos, despite having RA2. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Pretty easy to do it. See this thread.

Completely local so @JasonJoel if you block it for everything other than lan and ntp it isn’t a security issue.

I don’t know much about bridges... I only use smart plugs and dimmers...

Disagree there. Still an issue, just a lesser one. But everyone's tolerance/acceptance to unpatched devices is different - I recognize that.

They are pretty cool devices. I wish someone would make something basically exactly like that, but current and still supported. Although.... Then I would probably just complain about how expensive they are. Lol

1 Like

Not sure if Z-Wave 700 capabilities open up new device possibilities to get closer to Lutron performance. One part of why the RadioRA 2 keypads work so well is that the keypads transmit the commands directly to both the end device and the Main Repeater. When programming a RadioRA 2 system part of the process is passing the devices and programming to the keypad. It adds a few minutes when making changes, but it's a part of making the system so robust.

Understand your issue...then wink relays are not for you...

They are $30 on eBay. Their value has plummeted as the number of people wanting to use wink plummets because of the $5 subscription

I have the VRCS4-M0Z. It's not exactly anything to write home about but it works. Hubitat recognizes the device. The scene buttons (1-4) are "pushed" only, while the raise/lower buttons (5-6) have both "pushed" and "released"

I don't have it set up to talk directly to any of the switches, just send button pushes to the Hubitat Button Contollers app. The one thing I really don't like about it is that it's not Z-Wave plus.

What about using in-wall switches as purely scene controllers? Eg. The Fibaro Dimmer 2 has two switch inputs, so you could get a 2-button controller out of one of those, and use whatever switches you like. I'm pretty sure other in-wall devices could provide similar options, but I happen to have Fibaro devices. I don't have any installed as pure scene controllers, but I have done a combo where switch 1 controls an attached load, and switch 2 is a scene controller.

I am bringing back one of my posts from months ago because Zooz came thru with the win and their Zen32 Scene Controller. I now have 4 of them throughout house. Evidently, Inovelli has one in development but it won't be out for months and Zooz already got my money for this.

Thank you @agnes.zooz

4 Likes

So glad you like the Scene Controller! It was a long time coming for this one :sweat_smile:

2 Likes