Mailbox opened Alexa announcement using Zooz ZSE43 Tilt Shock XS Sensor

I can't seem to get this to work. I would like Alexa to announce - "The mail has arrived." I have a Hubitat hub (obvious I guess), a Zooz ZSE43 Tilt Shock XS Sensor, a possible Ifttt.com integration, and many integrated Alex devices in the house.

I initially tried to setup an Alexa Routine triggered by the Zooz sensor but Amazon only seems to give you "open" and "close" options for the Zooz sensor. The states on the shock sensor are:

• battery : 100
  • shock : clear

The state that gets triggered is "shock" NOT "open" and "close" which I am assuming is why the trigger is not working.

Ifttt.com also ONLY has the "open" and "close" options. I thought about using a regular open and close sensor for the mailbox, but mailbox doors are not that secure so not sure how reliable the close would be on a regular open/close sensor, especially when the door does not close precisely the same way each time. I thought a tilt sensor on the door would be more reliable and I can put that on the door directly.

Any suggestions on how to get this to work?

This is the sensor: Zooz Z-Wave Plus 700 Series XS Tilt | Shock Sensor ZSE43 - The Smartest House

Andrew

You could write a RM rule to open/close a virtual contact sensor based on the 'shocked'/'clear' condition of the Zooz shock sensor. Then expose the virtual contact to Alexa and write your routine for alexa.

1 Like

That worked, thanks!