Mailbox Detection

I would like to be notified when the mail carrier has delivered mail.

I have a traditional freestanding metal mailbox in the corner of my front yard, next to the sidewalk.

I want my automation to be discrete. I don’t want the mail carrier to see some contraption and think maybe it’s some kind of booby trap.

First, I added a Samsung SmartThings multi sensor to the bottom of the mailbox to detect vibration when the mail carrier opened up the box. However, the vibration sensor is so sensitive that it picks up cars driving by, and even, sometimes, airplanes flying overhead. There is no way to adjust the sensitivity that I’m aware of.

So I placed a small motion sensor (Iris v2) on the bottom of the mailbox. After some experimentation, I placed the motion sensor pointing down towards the ground. Despite it pointing down, it detects the motion of the mail carrier. It’s pointing down so that it does not pick up passing cars. I would never have guessed that pointing it down would work as well as it does.

However, it also picks up anyone walking by on the sidewalk, and not just the mail carrier. So now I’m planning to use the vibration sensor in conjunction with the motion sensor. My rule will be if motion AND vibration are detected, then I have mail delivery.

Now, if a car drives by at the same time as someone is walking by the mailbox, I will get a false positive.

Is there any vibration sensor whose sensitivity's can be adjusted? That would be a huge help. My vibration sensor is way too sensitive.

By the way, I’m aware that my sensors are not designed for outdoors. However, they are under the mailbox. They may get wet if there is a driving rain. However, I live in the desert, so I don’t get a lot of rain. I consider my setup to be an experiment. Maybe the sensors will hold up outside or maybe not.

Also, I did try using a contact sensor on the mailbox door, but as I said I wanted something discrete, and I wasn’t able to achieve that with the contact sensor.

You could put a motion sensor inside on the roof far enough back so it’s not seen? (Sorry from UK so assuming it’s one of those barn looking ones at the end of a driveway?) this I will save on false positives for vibration? Ultimately a contact sensor is best but understand your reasoning for not wanting one.

You could use plasti dip to (1) waterproof the sensor and (2) make a smaller detection window by painting out the bits that might pick up motion beyond the desired perimeter. I'd just use some painter's tape first to block the sensor and then plasti dip once you're satisified.

I tried this, but since the mailbox is metal, the signal does not get through.

1 Like

If I use plasti-dip, could I still open the sensor to replace the battery?

Ah fair enough!

Glue small magnet on bottom mailbox door.
Put contact sensor on bottom of mailbox outside.
When mailbox opens magnet get close to sensor and activate.
Of course inverse logic applies, sensor shows open when mailbox is closed and closed when door is open.

Or drill hole in back or bottom of mailbox and glue front of motion sensor to mailbox in way that when door is open sensor is illuminated.

I will probably put it on bottom so you don't have to worry about sensor waterproofing

In USA you can't place anything inside mailbox.
Although you own mailbox, postal regulations don't allow you to do so.
Also first recieved package will likely knock sensor out.

You can put sensor from outside but if its visible it will just attract unwanted attention people who passing by.

1 Like

How about a light sensor like this? Mount the module on the bottom of the mailbox snd run the sensor wire inside.

Yes - you can simply peel it off and reapply.

Have you looked at using a contact sensor as shown in the post below? If you have a similar style mailbox, this is a very discrete solution that will not be influenced by passers-by.

3 Likes

Expanding on @ogiewon suggestion. This Iris contact sensor has worked flawlessly for over 2 years now and it’s simply mounted underneath the mailbox with double sided tape. No protection other than the mailbox itself. It works so well I have 5 neighbors subscribing to my “you got mail” alerts because our mail delivery is so unpredictable :joy:.

Here is my rule that notifies me. It only fires once each day by use of the rule private Boolean. Then I also have a virtual presence sensor flagged so I can check if one of my kids got mail before me.

3 Likes

I do remember reading that it is “illegal” to put anything inside a mailbox (except mail :joy:) and that is one reason why I’m going with sensors on the bottom outside.

My sensors are small, and you sort of have to bend down to see them, so I’m thinking they won’t attract a lot of attention. Plus I’m on a dead end street, so not a lot of traffic.

I tried that, but I couldn’t get it to work.

I noticed the mail carrier pulls the door open just a little and quickly throws the mail in.

I couldn’t get the spacing between the sensor and the magnet where it needed to be to work correctly.

My option my not work for you, but posting for others as an option. I have a metal box. I use an Iris v2 motion sensor inside the box with an Iris outlet plugged in outside on the front porch to act as a repeater. Without the repeater the signal would not make it in the house at all, with the repeater it works fine.

What type of magnet are you using? One supplied with contact sensor or something else? You will see a picture in @ogiewon’s post above of mine where I use a small round rare earth magnet purchased at local box store. In other words it doesn’t have to be the supplied contact sensor magnet. I simply stuck it to my metal mailbox door and moved it around until it worked. All I have to do it barely open it and it alerts me.

Have you considered a pair of these?

1 Like

Is there a driver available for that? :grin:

1 Like

There's a driver, only he's in that snowplow that knocked the mailbox into the ditch.

2 Likes