Magic Hue WiFi or Gledopto zigbee RGBW LED controller

I putting RGBW LED strips on my porch and have two possible controllers I can pick from: the Magic Hue/Light WiFi controller or the Gledopto zigbee controller. I've verified they both work ok with Hubitat, and even the WiFi ones are controlled locally.

The controller will be in a dry location under my porch. But it gets humid and hot in New Orleans.

I'd like some input on which would be the better choice before I start the work.

i have the Gledopto controller it's inside so i cannot speak to how it would do in the weather. I would get a weatherproof box to put it in. It works flawlessly for me and is a much more reasonable price!!

1 Like

@spokra
Thanks!

I've actually purchased both controllers. The Gledopto was $20, the Magic Hue was $11.

So I went with the Gledopto, I've got two of them now.
My outdoor unit is housed in this:

I think the next one for my pool lights will be housed in one of these:

I only have it connected to Hue, I can't confirm how well it works with Hubitat (if it's a good repeater or not, my got says it's not, but I could be wrong).

My only complaint is that the connectors are spring loaded instead of screw terminals.
Real tough to get it in snug, especially the real tiny LED wires.
I taped it up real good after I got them as tight as I felt possible.
Good luck!

2 Likes

Just to flag that the Gledopto devices may be bad repeaters, so make sure you (otherwise) have a strong zigbee mesh!

I've been very happy with my Gledopto CCT controller, would buy again.

1 Like

Just wanted to wrap this up. Today, it was ~95F in the eaves under my porch. The Magic Hue died in the heat - clearly wasn't able to take it.

I'm going with the Gledopto - but I'm leaving that indoors and running just the wiring outdoors.

Wow, yea I've been wondering how well these cheapo controllers will fair in the heat. Mine's hiding in the bush, so at least it gets a breeze... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Not to thread crap, but the H801 has served me well. Flashed with Eric's firmware and solid as a rock. Wifi, not zigbee, but very reliable and very cheap, and zero worries about lousy repeaters trashing your mesh.

https://smartlife.tech/blog/2016/06/24/smartlife-h801-esp8266-based-rgbw-controller/