Lutron to Hubitat to Lutron Integration Delay

Yes this keypad is only on the RadioRa2 session and the lights are hard-wired to it (being a hybrid dimmer/keypad). No commands are sent to the Caseta telnet.

And yes, the delay is very annoying. Like you, I think there should be instant feedback when a button is pressed.

Could you install it again over a second session (you would end up with two devices (and probably two Apps?) in HE for your one device) and when the button press comes in on one, send the command to turn the lights on out on the other? This is what I tried to suggest to try, I have had issues with other networked devices where this has helped, but there I had full control over the driver and could change the code, here I'm not sure what is allowed within the confines of the App and driver used.

Tagging @bravenel as I believe this 'behavior' has been investigated previously.

1 Like

I just found this, if this is the same issue as with the Pico remotes, the issue is on the Lutron bridge side:

Yep, that sounds like the same issue to me, which has been reported here in the Hubitat Community previously. A user even tried to use two SmartBridge Pro devices, one with Picos and the other with Caseta Switches, and the problem persisted. The issue being the Lutron Clear Connect RF network is busy while the Pico remote continues to transmit data to make certain that it is 'heard', IIRC.

It makes sense, it also means it is not a very modern protocol, from what I've understood Lutron is very popular in the US, knowing this I would stay away from having both buttons and relays for lights on Lutron in the same location. Problem is when they are the one and the same. Can they be programmed to control themselves on button press so as to not have to wait for the command to turn on the light to be sent to them?

If I am using a Pico remote to control a Caseta Switch or Dimmer (e.g. a 3-way switch in US terminology), I always directly pair the Pico to Caseta for instantaneous performance. No need to involve the Hubitat hub in that scenario. I also have no issues when using Zigbee motion sensors to trigger Caseta lighting via the Hubitat hub. Also, when I use a Pico to control a Zigbee bulb, the response is instantaneous.

1 Like

Ok, so as long as these "rules" of integration are followed it does sound solid, from what I've understood they "just work". As long as you don't try to do what was tried here that is. I don't live in the US, but the Picos do interest me. I'll probably get a bridge and some remotes one day. I like button devices even though they are not used much in my home I do "collect" them in a pile on my desk to try out and write drivers for.

@paul45 sorry to have talked about that Telnet issue, it was definitely not the direction to go. Unfortunately what you're seeing is apparently expected behavior unless you can tie button presses to turning on the light without waiting for a command from HE?

I don't think this is the reason. Lutron devices don't look for ACK in their protocol. I do think this delay may be intentional, which if true, would be one of the screwy things that Lutron does in some of their products. This behavior is specific to CasΓ©ta. A Pico provides instantaneous response in a RA2 system, so it's not a protocol issue.

In this case it's a Hybrid Keypad on an RA2 which has this delay when using HE to issue a light on command based on a button press from the same device. If this is intentional, that is very "screwy" indeed.

1 Like

The delay is intentional only on a keypad? It doesn't make any sense. Also as Markus said, I've eliminated the Caseta devices from the Rule.

Please post logs by screenshot, not copy/paste.

It would be more helpful if you cleared the Logs, and showed everything that happens, including Action logging from Rule Machine. Need to see where the delay is arising, and can't tell that with what you've shown.

Let me know if this is okay. Shows keypad button 1 press - turn on ceiling lights to 100 pct. Then it shows dimmer switch off, then on, then off.

Reading from the bottom:

at 13.920 the button is pushed
at 15.447 the Action runs to turn on the light
at 15.844 the light has reported on

Not clear why that happens multiple times. Is this the 2 seconds you are concerned with? Please turn on the rule Trigger and Event logging also.

How do I turn on Rule Trigger logging?

Is this using Rule Machine?

Yes it is.

Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 12.11.01 PM

I only have 2 options there

FWIW this is a Button Device

Show your rule please.