Lutron switches

Agreed. And it isn’t like the hardware isn’t compatible. There are reports of folks rooting their Wink hub v1 and getting RA2 dimmers/switches to work with the built-in “CasĂ©ta” radio.

For example:

1 Like

What would be the Lutron switch I would be wanting for simple on/off capability and compatible with Hubitat through my Lutron bridge? Does anyone have a link to the product (preferably in Amazon)?

Which Lutron, Caseta?

3 Likes

yes, I think so, that's the one that is ultra reliable and works with my Lutron Caseta L-BDGPRO2-WH - SmartBridge Pro

Most people use the Caseta PD-6ANS switch if they have a neutral wire in the switch box.

2 Likes
1 Like

Can also use the PD-5ANS-WH, which is a little cheaper.

And if No Neutral is required

https://www.energyavenue.com/Lutron/PD-5WS-DV-WH

3 Likes

RA3 announced. Main processors are compatible with (most) RA2 and RA2 Select switches.

Thank you Lutron!

No telnet support 

2 Likes

I'm trying to be positive about the switches being compatible. :frowning:

1 Like

Fair enough. But restricting official LEAP integration to a few vendors and eliminating the well-documented telnet interface isn’t exactly the best way to get new customers. And I want to be sure that anyone getting an RA3-based system knows that it currently isn’t Hubitat-compatible.

4 Likes

Their customers don't care for the most part, so neither do they. It's a dealer sold/installed system.

4 Likes

Maybe not?:

I'd agree if that is true. But I'm skeptical, even as Lutron is very good at frustrating customers with their crazy marketing segmentation decisions. One of the main selling points is that RadioRA 2 works with a large range of 3rd party controllers. They've apparently not included any new automation capabilities in the new system. The way to get an answer on access to LEAP is to contact them at workswith@lutron.com. Hopefully @bravenel has/will and will get a good answer.

While there's some truth to that, it is a DIY system for anyone who has an ounce of desire and Google ability, whether one uses it stand alone or with a 3rd party controller. I'm pretty sure Lutron is aware of this market, even if they don't prioritize it highly. Also, in my Level 2 class there were 2 small dealer people who had developed their own python app running on a pi. Those kinds of dealers will be SOL too.

The most interesting thing to me is the move to 2.4Ghz radios for the new dimmers and keypads. Lutron is on the BOD of the Thread group, so I imagine that the new radios are at least based on Thread. (But they're almost certainly not speaking Matter.) They've not explained the move. All the while they've been selling Clear Connect A devices based on the reliability of 434Mhz radios. So will generic Thread radios give Lutron-level communications reliability to other device makers in the next couple of years?

2 Likes

Did you see the detail that you can only have 100 RA3 and 100 RA2 devices per controller? Marketing geniuses!

2 Likes

I guess that is one way to ensure things don't fall off the network and run fast.

I can read Bruce's mind:

Hubitat C8, new feature, only can pair 100 devices!

:laughing:

1 Like

Nothing a few $ won't fix. I believe the market is only going to be getting more competitive. We'll see how Lutron reacts over time. The marketing geniuses are also releasing their outdoor plug only for RadioRA 3 despite being Clear Connect A and a copy of the Caséta version.

If I wanted a dealer system with some user configuration and control I'd seriously consider Control4. Their lighting is about the same MSRP as Lutron, with keypads being cheaper. The lighting is obviously built into their controller software, making capabilities more on the HomeWorks level.

Or we could all just ignore the RA2 stuff and use Caseta (without having to do backflips and chanting magical incantations), which works incredibly well for any Hubitat user willing to buy a Smartbridge Pro.

Solved. Next...

3 Likes

RadioRA 2 works great with Hubitat. It uses the exact same Lutron Telnet integration. And RadioRA 2 has several devices and features that Caseta doesn’t.

Fine. But that line appears to be going down a path that is not Hubitat-friendly. Why support it?

If that works for you, go for it. It doesn't work for me. I would never fill a house with Caséta. Now that RadioRA 3 is announced Caséta is Lutron's oldest platform. If Lutron is looking to add Clear Connect X devices to Caséta how long until it's replaced? You think the next version will have Telnet? The best thing is that none of this matters for now. There's no need to do anything as Lutron supports old devices for a long time.

1 Like