Lutron RadioRa3 announced / Integration with LEAP

Hopefully Hubitat will become an "approved partner".

Or if someone passes copies of the api to him... :slight_smile:

The Home Assistant people are supposedly close to having their reverse engineered RadioRA 3 and HomeWorks QSX LEAP integration ready for release. Caséta LEAP is already part of Home Assistant.

3 Likes

Good to know. Hubitat will follow once that info is released.

Has there been any roadmap developments to support Lutron LEAP API for Caseta? Since motion sensors were part of the Hubitat Lutron Integrator App, I didn’t think to check the supported devices list. I have bought 5 Caseta motion sensors and now realize motion support is only for the RA2 motion sensors. :frowning:

I’d love to keep these if Hubitat can expand the functionality down the road?

If Home Assistant has it up and running maybe it is worth checking out and ditching my HOOBs RPi setup?

Yea, unfortunately Lutron never exposed those Caseta motion sensors via their Telnet integration.

As you mentioned, I do believe that the latest and greatest Home Assistant Caseta integration uses Leap, and does support those Caseta motion sensors. Thus, you could get HAOS up and running, and then use the HA Device Bridge (HADB) to bring those sensors back into Hubitat if desired.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply @ogiewon! I will have to take a look at the HA Device Bridge.

2 Likes

The Hubitat staff generally don’t make roadmap-type announcements.

If it’s technically possible to accomplish over a LAN connection, then my guess would be they probably will, eventually.

2 Likes

Has anyone used HA and this HA Device Bridge yet to connect radio RA3 and Hubitat? I’d be curious to know if it works I’ve also been avoiding upgrading to Radio RA3 until a formal integration is announced, but I’ve now got some devices that require me to upgrade.

I am not sure about that, as I have not seen anyone post about that particular configuration. In general, HADB does not care how the devices/entities are brought into HA. All that matters is that the type of entity is supported by HADB on the Hubitat side. Switches, Dimmers, Motion Sensors are all supported already. More complex devices, like Lutron Keypads, might be a problem - but I am not sure. You may want to post your question over in the HADB thread, as that will target the users who might know the answer to your question for certain.

1 Like

it won't, while RA3 uses LEAP, the encryption key used for the Caseta LEAP connection does not work with the RA3 bridge.

1 Like

Works fine for me.
Home Assistant talking to the Ra3 processor.
HADB in Hubitat talking to Home Assistant.
I havent done any automation in the Hubitat (already all programmed in HA for what i need) but i can turn lights on and off from the devices page in Hubitat.

2 Likes

What binding in HA?

pylutron-caseta has recently added support for RA3 switches, dimmers, keypads and Picos.

3 Likes

They must be doing something of a soft launch as I've not seen any official announcement. But if you look at the integration page it does now list both RadioRA 3 and HomeWorks QSX.

1 Like

I installed it as a custom component from the GitHub page a few months back. Just recently they have been cleaning it up and getting it ready to roll out. Still a few issues with keypad naming and no access to scenes.

1 Like

It is a solid company.

I think with the new 'Caseta Diva line up' it is clear that the Caseta Smart Hub Pro is not going anywhere so our fear of RA3 was just that. The new switches are amazing and I see no reason to even consider RA3 at this time.

I also noticed that the new switches handle some LEDs better than the old ones.

1 Like

Ooo.. what do you mean by this?
I have a few old switches without neutral and struggle to find LEDs with the right load that prevent ghosting.

The ghosting means you need to replace the LEDs regardless (though I have not tried it with a new switch). I am referring to LED that kind of flash on and then dim; the new switches took care of this issue.

1 Like