Lutron RadioRA2 - mirroring other lights dim level automatically

I’d like to be able to use Hubitat, so whenever I set one light in Lutron using a dimmer, it will set other lights to that same level. We have 4 circuits in our bathroom. The dimmer controls one of them. The other three are controlled by their own dimmers, but on the other side of the room. We would like it, so whenever we set the dimmer for one of them, the other three will follow exactly. Can anyone provide a step-by-step of how to do this? Thanks

You have a couple of options, but I think that the best one is the Mirror App (it's a built-in app and is pretty self-explanatory).

Here's what it looks like:

3 Likes

I would second this. I use the Mirror app for just this job. One of the many advantages of using Hubitat. Lutron's own system is quite basic. Do keep in mind that the mirror app is a one way app.

1 Like

Good point.

I could experiment with this myself and might just do so, but do you happen to know how the app deals with feedback loops? Meaning, if you were to set up Lights B, C, and D to Mirror Light A, but then also set up B to Mirror A, C, and D and so forth?

Just trying to think if that would cause problems.

1 Like

I personally watched it turn a light on and off again several times. It was a Z-wave dimmer but I doubt that matters. This is when I double mirrored.

Thank you. I used this and it works. OK. One issue is that it’s very slow. It seems like it takes two or three seconds for each like to start Dimming or changing. So, for example, after you turn on light A, it doesn’t even start changing light be for about three seconds, and then it changes light see three seconds after that. Any ideas on how to speed this up so there’s not a delay

1 Like

Right. So fair warning, as quick as your Hub is, it's not nearly as fast/coordinated as the Lutron system, which probably cost at least a couple of orders of magnitude more. I have not figured out a way to use Mirror in a way that functions like a Ra2 Scene button, for instance. What I have done is set up scenes in the Lutron Inclusive software that are triggered by virtual switches that I control with Alexa. For example, there are 8 switches/dimmers in my kitchen, when I say, "Alexa, turn on the lights" it is turning on a virtual switch on my C-7 which presses a virtual scene button on my Lutron system, which turns all 8 switches on at exactly the same time (and fairly instantaneously). Yes, I know that you can import scenes directly to Alexa, but I like the simplicity of being able to say "turn on/off the lights" and the scene import to alexa doesn't allow that.

That's why I said in my original reply that there are several ways to do it. I said Mirror is best thinking of it's simplicity. You'll need to do quite a bit more tweaking (and potentially money spending) if you want it to function absolutely in sync.

If you want absolute ease of use (albeit, not a Hubitat solution), you would replace one of the dimmers in your bathroom with a Lutron Hybrid keypad that you would program in the Lutron software with scenes. Cheaper option would be to mount a Pico to the wall and use that as your on/off switch, again, with a Lutron scene triggered by the on/off.

The Telnet doesn't report until the dimmer is at the set level. So the Mirror app won't run until after the Lutron dimmers' programmed ramp and your non-Lutron dimmers will appear 'slow'. You can reduce/eliminate the ramp to minimize the issue if you don't/can't use a keypad. Note that ramp is programmed both on the main repeater (for physical button pushes) and on the Hubitat device page (for Hubitat programmed control).

2 Likes

It is a little slow. The only way to do it fast is to work in a Pico remote; as long as it is all Lutron.

1 Like

I have hybrid keypads for physical control of lights and scenes in my RadioRA 2 system, but also use the virtual buttons for various methods of control by Hubitat.

One relatively cheap option is to add Picos, which are activated in the Essentials software but don’t control anything directly there.

The picos are then available in the Hubitat Lutron integration app, and can be programmed to push the RadioRA 2 main repeater’s virtual buttons from the Hubitat side of things. But since the scene is activated on the Lutron end, there’s no delay among all the fixtures involved.

The main repeater virtual buttons can also be activated many other ways, for example dashboards, other Hubitat apps like mode manager or rule machine, etc.

None of the above is the best option to manually dim up/down several light fixtures at once, but it does allow for a lot of flexibility otherwise.

Is there a way to capture the initial command of the dimmer vs the output? I believe when I initially touch the dimmer, it sends the command, for example, dim the light to 50%, and it isn’t a few seconds later that completes the command. That’s where a lot of the delay is coming in. Because the mirror function looks at the completed, output, text,, and not the original command. Both are transmitted over the telnet interface. So if there was a way for Hubitat, and specifically mirror to capture the initial command, it could start processing that and issuing the commands to the other fixtures simultaneously.

Actually, I'm going to take my statement back, my memory was faulty (1st time :wink:). There's a small, but fairly insignificant, delay from pushing a button to the Telnet indicating the final output no matter the ramp rate. You can see it if you turn on debug logging in the Hubitat Telnet device and control the dimmer from its device page. Set the transition time (off ramp) to something like 20 seconds. Turn the dimmer off from the device page and look at the logs. You'll see in the Telnet logs the level set to 0 long before the 20 seconds.

If syncing is important and these are all RadioRA 2 dimmers I'd use a hybrid keypad and set a scene on 1 button and some toggles on the others.

1 Like

I would agree with that. I think the only way to have zero delay is a direct Pico configured with those devices.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.