Lutron RA2 Select or RadioRA 2 Essentials

Your Lutron system may not have the lutron/integration combination if you've got a newer Main Repeater or if you updated one to at least 12.2 and didn't note that that combination had been removed.

To add the lutron/integration combination back, in the Lutron software go to Settings, Integration and you can add it back to the system.

I'm on 12.7, Thanks for the tip, I will make sure that I have Lutron/integration in my software

Just want to double confirm we don't need the connect bridge for pico remote, if your running radiora2 essential on main repeater right? What I meant is to use the pico as an remote to control other stuff on hubitiat not just lutron device.

I about to buy a batch of pico remote on craigslist with good price. I don't want to come find out later I also need to spend $$$ on a connect bridge for main repeater. Those bridge are not cheap even if its sold as used.

Correct. Connect Bridge is only needed to make the Lutron Connect mobile app work with RA2. Picos work fine, just add them as any other device in Essentials, and then add them to Hubitat in the Lutron Integration app, getting their integration IDs from the Integration Report in Essentials. There are two drivers to choose from depending on whether you want pushed/held or pushed/released (latter is faster, former doubles each button).

Hi,

I'm looking at an RA2 Select system (UK based) and wanted to clarify what you're saying here.

Is it the case that the HE hub is able to directly detect and connect to an RA2 select based Pico remote without the need for an RA2 select main repeater hub?

If that's the case, is the same also correct for all their peripherals (i.e. the dimmer/on+off modules, sensors, and their range of blinds etc)?

Thanks for any feedback!

RA2 Select is different from RA2; the RA2 Select Main Repeater is about like the Caséta Bridge Pro in that it has all you need for both Hubitat integration and Lutron mobile app use (and looks nearly identical except it's black instead of white). For RA2, setup is done via the PC app and only requires the RA2 Main Repeater, though adding the optional Connect Bridge also lets you use the Lutron mobile app (you do not need this for Hubitat).

But in all cases, you need a Lutron "bridge" or "main repeater" somewhere: Lutron uses a proprietary radio protocol that Hubitat cannot speak to directly. The integration is over your LAN to the Lutron bridge/repeater. Also, detection is not technically automatic; you have to add the specific devices you want to Hubitat (and can ignore ones you don't).

3 Likes

ahh, makes sense...this is as i'd understood it after reading the literature on the Lutron website.

I was wondering whether someone had managed to 'hack' the protocol is all.

It appears as if the RA2 Select option is the only consumer based option available in the UK...they do however appear to have a professional version known as HomeWorks. This seems to be the shiny shiny expensive stuff though and, as such, well above what i need.

Even the select stuff seems a little pricey. However, they're a UK compliant longterm established company, and, if it means i get to run it sans-internet, integration to HE is guarnteed, with the range of products that can be integrated with it, it seems a pretty reasonable option.

There's no need to hack anything here, they have a published api, they call it LIP, Lutron integration protocol.

no no, i think you misunderstood.

I meant as in managed to 'hack' the RA2 protocol to allow Hubitat to talk directly to their RA2 Select devices without routing commands through their RA2 Hub...or are you now saying that would be possible and the hub wouldn't be required?

To talk to Lutron devices there has to be a Lutron base, either RA2 Select main repeater, or RA2 main repeater, etc. They have proprietary radio technology -- there is no way to hack it.

no way to hack it?

Hmmm, there's some guys on twitter hacking SpaceX dragon module camera feeds who may beg to differ :grin:

Seriously though, what they do appears nothing short of black magic...although, as SpaceX have to use internationally agreed upon protocols (funnily enough, relating to radio feeds used with broadcast/retrieval of atomic weapon testing sensor data...developed so that they can all spy on each other safely and verify 'test' results), also seems as if it could be achieveable given enough time to get your head around what they're using/doing to achieve it

Well good luck with this. You'd need a custom RF setup, figure out proprietary RF protocols, devise custom transmitter and receivers using DSPs, etc. What's the point?

1 Like

Esentially, I believe, that is in essence, what these guys on twitter are doing.

The RF gear, however, is an inexpensive off the shelf bit of kit that you can program to tune into the RF frequencies you want to listen to...it may even be possible to broadcast over short distances using this kit too.

Scott Manyly on YouTube discussed their work in an upload a couple of days ago.

But, yeah, sure, seems a bit OTT for this scenario :smiley:

You think?

2 Likes

Certainly true today, but Lutron is slowly migrating out of Telnet (Homeworks QSX does not have Telnet). Their newer protocol is called LEAP and there is no public documentation but they've worked with certain partners to implement integrations. Caséta and RA2 Select already speak LEAP in addition to Telnet. There are new RadioRA 2 repeaters coming, I wouldn't be surprised if Telnet is not included.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Lutron/comments/lebp5q/new_ra2_select_processor_with_clear_connect_type/

3 Likes

Came across this...

https://forums.lutron.com/showthread.php/15716-Very-concerned-about-discontinuation-of-Telnet-and-breaking-existing-integration/page2?s=c415da841a7d982f172f1780feb9ae9c

Interesting that they do not include Caseta when mentioning systems where telnet is not going away... not sure what to make of this though probably (hopefully) nothing.

1 Like

They didn't mention SmartBridge PRO because it's not their mainstream Caséta product, and it would simply confuse people to mention Caséta at all. No way will Lutron break backwards compatibility with deployed systems, especially PRO systems. That whole sub-product line was created for the professional installers, and those are the last people Lutron would want to mess up.

3 Likes

I figured it was something like that but thanks for clarifying!! I agree it would not be a smart move on their part.

Also unless I missed something I think that post is from "02/09/21, 03:02 PM".. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

(I initially thought it was older too)

Yep, right on the date. We will see if we can get on hands on the LEAP documentation.

2 Likes